Flathead Catfish Habitat - What produces Flathead Catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Dec 24, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought I would share a couple pics of spots where I fish fo flatheads..The first pic is of a deep hole with a riffle washing in it..I caught my personal best flat of 50-lbs in this spot.

The second pic is a spot in a creek where I have pulled several nice flatheads from.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is the pic of my 50 that came from the first location

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is a flat that came from the second location, both were caught on cut shad.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that first hole looks really good, how deep does it run? i would put some of my spot photos up on here but i beleive it would be dangerous. over my way good holes and big fish are a little harder to come by. im even squemish about putting pics up. i might be able to scan some and p.m. to you since your not from around here lol. that hole melon took you to is an awesome hole, used to fish it a few years back when i could get my boat in there. its about the only way you can fish that hole correctly.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I like the hole mellon took me to, I imagine it holds a huge ammount of fish, but it was a beast to fish from the bank...That first pic has a small hole of around 15 feet and the base of the riffle...It requires a long walk thru the woods to find so I was not to worried about posting the pic. :D

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool looking spots.....first pic reminds me a little bit of one of my spots in the river where I catch trophy Channel Cats.....but it also is a beast to fish at from the bank.

Merry Christmas, Zakk :)

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here is another pic, the point of the gravel bar in the background leads right into a deep hole on that bend..However you cant get to it witout a boat.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we used to call that hole the "one pole hole". everytime we went you couldnt keep but one pole in the water. too many snags when fishin from bank there. i found out the big fish there roam about 5 ft or so below the surface of the water along the concrete at night feeding, and along the other bank. its about 10 ft deep along that oposite bank. we started using floats w/lightsticks. two months after figuring it out the place where i put my boat in was closed off. havent fished there since.

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    On the first pic,,, where are you casting your bait to? In the hole, riffle or at the edge of those trees in the water?

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the hole in the daytime, you cant fish by those trees because the current is to strong and 8-0zs wont hold..You can see where the riffle ends in the pic and the hole is right there..At night I will fish a little farther downstream in shallow water.Most of my big fish from this spot have come form the hole in the daytime.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes the snags were so bad I did not enjoy fishing it..I was snagging up 3 out of 4 cast.

12. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good post Jack.

Dink, I wouldnt post a pic espically from here that you could tell where its from. I have learned that there are way too many people w/ big mouths and no common sense to fishing. People will bring their friends, those people will bring their, etc...

That spot you are talking about, seems decent. I've fishe dit 3 times. But I know the guy who found it (a freind of mine) told someone else, who told others and them they fished it 7 straight days/night, 7! :confused:

So I've learned to keep quite, in fact I've gotten to where I no longer even like fishing around here unless its in the boat. I would love to find a spot on private property here in our area that hold cats, even small flats & stuff. I guess I've just gotten bitter after things that happened alst year.

13. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've had the same prob here with fishing and hunting spots. Some people have no respect. You show them and they show the whole world....:cursing: Some people don't understand, the time money and effort in finding a good hunting or fishing spot. especialy one on private land.

a few Years back I knocked on the door of a kind old farmer, who had 500 acres of prime pheasant habitat, Thick nasty CRP, with a wheat stubble field on one side, a cut milo field on the other, and a row of Round bails at the end. We used to push the field towards the round bails. we would usally pick up a few birds along the way off points. but the real action was when you got to those round bails, the birds had no were to go, they had to fly. it wasn't uncommon to see 30 birds at the end of the field. All the old farmer wanted was a few birds for his table to let us hunt.

We ended up taking the wrong guy with us one year. After a great little hunt on that property. this guy went back to the old farmer and got him to lease the hunting rights to him. And I'm left out in the cold!!!:mad: :crying: :cursing:

Now when I take people to private hunting and fishing spots I tell guys, You can talk about what happened today, but when it comes to where it happened.....that is not to be sold or told!!!! and if I find you on one of My spots with out Me, We're gonna have a prob!!!!!!

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man Brad that is horrible. I'm assuming that guy is no longer a freind of yours is he?

15. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    The Guy was a friend of a friend. The old farmer told me that He figured that I would still have access because The guy came out with our group. He thought we were in on the lease deal. I've heard that they have a big group of about 15 guys that all pool there money together to lease hunting land. They are giving My farmer $3 an acre thats $1500 a season, Way out of My budget. But I can't blame the old guy for leasing the land to them, thats a nice chunk of extra money for Him I'm sure. Just wish He would have never came out with us, cause I'd still be taking birds off that property.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Brad That makes me mad also, leasing is happening alot..Soon if you dont own land or lease you are not gonna have much room to hunt...Now when they start leasing rivers I think I will quit fishing.

17. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Yep kinda sad.......We also have a walk in hunting program here in kansas. where the state leases private land and opens it up to the public. but after the first couple weeks in the season it's been trampled to death, and no longer holding birds, or holding very few. Why would the birds hang out on land thats getting pressured all the time, they can fly and there is plenty of other places for them to go.

Luckily, I still have a few farmers that let me hunt their land. I also try to knock on a couple of new doors every time I go out. I find new land to hunt every year, but its a slow process, but there are still some hunter friendly landowners out there.

When you find a land owner kind enough to let You hunt or fish treat them right. Always follow their rules, and all the unwritten rules. here's a few things to think of.

Treat the land if it was your own...don't litter, and pick up any trash that others have left. You know the deal....leave only footprints.

If you open a gate close it.
    dont block a gate or field entrance with Your truck.

Be mindful of any livestock or farming equipment in the area.

some land owners will let you drive on the property. if so, stay on the pathways that have been established. and if its muddy and your are gonna rut up the path......walk or don't go.

Always let them know when you come and go.

Offer some of your harvest for their table, cleaned of coarse

Don't forget about these kind folks during the holidays...a plate of cookies or a nice bottle of wine or whiskey, is a small price to pay for the privilidge to hunt or fish and is always well recieved.

18. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Thought I had some pics of fishing spots as well but can't find them now. but here's the view from one of the boat ramps I use.

Attached Files:

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Those are some beautiful spots for fishing. It's relaxing just looking at them.

20. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    What did you say your guide service fee was??