Flathead Catfish Gone Wild

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bushwack, Nov 18, 2006.

1. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Man the flatheads have been biten crazy here lately,,, last sunday I caught 4 , averaging 10 lbs apiece,, tuesday I caught 6, averaging 8 lbs apiece and today (sat), i got 6 more that that averaged 9 lbs apiece..
    Lost several each day at the boat, they would just come unhooked or something, and i would still have the shad on the hook..
    4 weeks ago I caught a 53 lbr. and a 18 lbr... 2 weeks ago i got 2 ,10 lbrs..

Been an Awesome fall here

2. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    :0a32: :0a32: :0a32: :0a32: :0a18: i wish i could say the same nothing in almost a month but congrats

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    where in Missouri are you fishing?

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gotta love this cooler weather. It has done nothing but improve my fishing too.

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Sounds like you have had a wonderful fall this year thanks for sharing

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the flatties Jay.What waters are you fishing?Thx for posting.

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Nice to have you back Jay. Congrats on the flatheads. I definetly need some lessons from you on fishing for flatheads on the mississippi.

8. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    good to hear the report buddy glad to see ya on the site as well

9. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jay, sounds like a good time. Now if you could tell all of us the GPS coordinates for where "here" is, we all could have a good time! :smile2: just kidding....keep up the good work! If you have any pictures we would love to see em.

10. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dang! That's great news. Although I don't have any plans of fishing soon, it's good to hear that they are turned on now. Welcome aboard the BOC Jay!

11. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is great to here your tearing em up are you fishing the mississippi

12. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the replys guys,, yes im fishing the Mighty Mississippi,,, and i forgot to say that a bout 7 weeks ago i took a buddy from work out with me and we got 2, 16's a 11,7 and a 5 lbr,,, he insisted that we went that day, but i wanted to go the next day, so we went his day,, good choice!!!.. I told him when ever he wanted to go again , just pic the day

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Jay, I believe we spoke before by PM's. You fish up around Cape I believe. Must be some good flatheads up your way. I struggle catching any on the mississippi.

14. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bushwack, they are hitting down here too! I got 4 Friday night/ Saturday morning the biggest was 14lbs and the smallest was 8 lbs. I also got 5 blues, The biggest was 12lbs and the smallest was around 4 lbs. Man this is a great time of year to fish. I call it the Fall Flathead run. The best thing about it is hardley anyone fishes for these fish! Every body hits the spring run but all the deer hunters are off the water and it's great! I deer hunt but I quit at the end of October and the fishing starts again. Hope it keeps up for you. The boat ramp on the river I fish is sanded in so bad I can not launch with my 4X4 anymore. I will be calling the state tomorrow to see if I can get them to clean out.

15. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    yes slim,, cape is right.. I rem talkin to ya

coolarrow,, thats the funny thing here,, i havn't caught anything else,, just flathead after flathead,, but im not complaining one bit.and your right no one else is fishing now, they're all hunting

16. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hey Jay,

Great to see you around again. It's been a long time!

Sounds like you've had a great fall. I've struggled to catch any flats all year. In fact I can count the number of flats I've caught on one hand, LOL.

17. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey Shane, I was wonderin if you were still here,.
    Actually the flats have been pretty good all year, there were some slow times but for the most part, good.I wish i would have kept a tally on them all year but i didnt, if i had to guess I would say 60 or so.
    I also topped my record this yr,,, 53 lbr.(flathead that is)I dont keep track of the blues

Can we post pics here? if so ill put one up

18. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    coolarrow,,, how big is that flathead you guys are holdin?

19. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Hey Jay, what part of our state are you fishing?

20. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bushwack that one was 67 lbs. We caught it in May of 2005. We catch alot of 30's to 40's. The same weekend we got that big one we lost a flat that had swallowed a 18lb flathead that was on our line. We landed the 18lb fish but the big one pulled off. It was never hooked he just had the smaller fish in his mouth. The tail on the 18lb fish's tail was turning to jelly. Man I love chasing those big fish. We catch and release almost all our flat's now unless we want a mess of fish. There great eating but one good fish will fill the freezer so we just take pictures and throw them back till we need more fish.