Flathead catfish goal

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by LiquidSteel, Dec 10, 2006.

1. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have set myself a goal for 2007. I want to catch a 25# plus flathead next year. From all my reading here at the BOC, I will need to go riverfishing. Also using heavy gear, live bait, and mostly at night. If Ive missed anything, or youd like to give me some more sound advice, it would be very much appreciated.

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    -heavy gear
    yes cuz you can hook a state record is you wish hard enough:tounge_out:
    -live bait
    id say 95% of the time, but cut bait can produce well at times to
    -river fishing
    generally yes, also they fight harder in rivers so its more fun:wink:
    -night fishing
    it can be great sometimes, but not always true. go as often as possible, theyll let ya kno when they wanna eat

3. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if fishing the missouri forget the only night thing just as easy to catch during the day then at night.

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Good luck on your goal. I set mine at 50#.

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Kenny We have to hook up sir. and Fish the Missouri river Up At My cabin By Blenco Ia. You can Bring the Son and We can do an overnighter. lets plan on it this spring, We can use My boat it's a 18ft.lund Alasken plenty big enough for the big Mo. and real easy to fish out of. let me know and we will make plans on a firm date that will work for both of us. I think we can hit your goal of #25 pound flat,there up there. My Friend Hathaway has a cabin up there at Ryans Landing also and this fall boated a #49 and a 35 Flat and one other friend from Omaha who is up there also caught a #32 pound Flat.I diden't catch any big Flats this Year as work was really Tuff as far as time off went but hope this new year will be better. This Old Man is getting tired of working so many hours,but then the pay is nice.Your friend J.D.:byebye:

6. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Good Luck on your goal.

My flathead goal is to cath one and to catch it on rod and reel.

7. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Thanks JD! I will take you up on that offer too. I set my goal at 25 pounds cause I know the Missouri has them, and I didnt want to set my goal too high. When we get closer to spring let me know what weekend you want to go drown bait. I currently work a monday through tuesday schedule, but with a few days notice, I can get time off.

Kenny

8. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Good Luck Brother !!!!!!!!!

9. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    Liquidsteel, I could take you to the offutt base lake to try for one, I caught a 35 and a 53lb flatties there last summer. There are more and bigger ones in there, and it gets fished very little for them. are you on the nebraska fishing forum? if not, get on there...Im novato on there. anyways, let me know if you would be interested. Cant wait till spring!

10. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Liquid Steel,

I don't think your goal is to high. As long as you are equiped to pull in a 25 pounder it will happen sooner or later. Especially if you follow the advice and tips from the people on this site. Once that water hits 55 - 60 degrees this spring, be ready!
    Get some live bait and set up behind a wing dike / dam and good things will happen!

Good luck