Flathead Catfish from the bank

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Bad_fisherman21, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ok i was thinking of fishing in a local river from the bank for flatheads....will using live buegills at night without knowing were they are exactly do alright? Ive never fished for flattys but ive heard that they stick to holes and are harder to target then blues and channels any information can help...i know about the livebait and were they are but i cant find those spots from the bank

2. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    if you can geta spot where there is log jams or even sand bars bends in the river where i would start cast up river allowing your line to float to these places

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I would try to find a nice riverbend. The water seems to be deeper and have more structure. You don't have to cast to far from shore. I have been getting most of my nicer fish in about 2'-3' of water no more than 10 yards off the bank. In the summer monthes I also like to fish drop-offs with some kind of veg. on the shallow side. I have caught them in the veg. but I like to try and stay outside of it close to the edge. If they are there you'll know it pretty quick.:wink:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would try floating a bullhead or a gill on a Kat Bobber around some cover such as snags or rocks. Holes are nice if you can find them. All my fish this year have also came within 10 yards of the bank, jus wait for the late nite cruiers.

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I fish from the bank as well and realize we are at a disadvantage when trying to find Flats,but I have some spots to try that are similiar to described above.Thanks for the helpful hints.Now if I can just get some Bluegill...

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Live bluegills at night will be fine. I would try to spend some time on the river before going. Check out all the public spots, pull off's any spot you can get to the river. Try to locate some holes, bends , structure or even slightly deeper water. Flathead fishing is like hunting, If you scout the area out well you will have a much better chance. I scout alot of areas with google earth it's a great tool for locating good spots.

7. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Even though every species can be caught from the bank.. Your not really in the "zone" without a boat. Your simply "Up a creek without a paddle" so to speak. But when you throw the gill out just get him out as FAR as you can.. and let him just swim. He wont go far.. practically in circles. Hope this helps.

8. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am also a bank fisherman, I would have to disagree on casting your bait out as far as you can, I have fished flats since I was 13or14 from bank, and they have all been caught within 20 yards from the bank, with 98% of them being caught within 5-6ft from the bank. Imo it is easier finding the structure that is closer to the bank then out in the middle of the river, if you don't have a boat.

I'm not saying you cant catch them out 50+yds from the bank, But from 1 bank fisherman to another,when bank fishing you dont have to go far. Like others said, study your structure.

I fish a sm to md river, when the water get low I walk the banks looking for holes, drop offs, ect. I was scoping things out the outher day and found 5 metal tubs wedged in the bank:wink: I know where im going to be at when water levels rise:big_smile:

9. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do all of my fishing from the bank (I'm scared of boats, fell out of one when I was a kid and almost drowned). Normally what I do is when the water is really low I throw on a pair of swim trunks and sandals and just start wading the river. I look for sudden drops, channels, and structure underwater. Then wait for a real good rain and head out to the spots I think would be good like minutes after it stops raining no matter what time it is and fish on. I almost always pull a fish out of those. Good luck man, as long as you pay attention to changes in current and oddball stuff like that you'll catch some nice ones!

10. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dang rocco beat me saying the same thing pretty much by 1 minute. Well since you have 2 people telling you the same thing you know it works for more than just one!

11. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    lol great minds think alike:smile2:

12. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yea your not kidding, took me about 5 years to learn about structure when catfishing. Once I got the hang of it, I produce large cats on a regular basis. Feels good to pass on a learning experience.

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Id like to say mark one down for the bank fisherman, jus got back from the river and caught a 20# flathead. Someone mentioned you are at a disadvantage and up a creek without a paddle without a boat? I dont believe so, I have bank fished all my life and have caught plenty of nice fish. Thats all I know so im totally confident from the bank. A boat would be nice out on the lake dont get me wrong, ill worry about that if the day comes.

14. fatcats89

fatcats89 Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm with brent, I'm just not comfortable in a boat, as for it being a disadvantage fishing from the bank is false. Really I see no difference, they both have pros and cons. It just comes down to personal preference. Mark me down as bank fisherman for life as well.

15. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    When I said we were at a disadvantage I was speaking of limited spots to fish with the right cover for Flats,but you guys have obviously proved it can be done.Thanks for all the input.Im learning alot from this site,and maybe one day Ill get a big Flat.

As for wading or going in the river...if I did that here I probably wouldnt live very long.....big gators....cottonmouths.:crazy:

16. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't blame you one bit. I wouldn't go in there either.:smile2:

17. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Found a wing dam that has a path leading right to it....it will have a big hole for flats and i have a good feeling about it. Though, the path must mean people fish it regularly so i hope they dont beat me there:big_smile::wink:

18. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish for flats from the bank and do pretty good.

19. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Its one of my goals to get a big Flat from the bank in the next year.
    I fish areas where they have been caught.I just seem to be a blue magnet...

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also bank fish but I do go on boats. Let me tell you, if you don't have a boat, you are undoubtedly at a disadvantage. If you catch a lot of big fish off the bank you are either a good fishermen, your in a spot where they happen to be a lot, or you fish where boats cant go.

I do pretty good off the bank and I watch people around me catching small or no fish at all. This is because I'm good , like you folks, at what I do. It takes a lot of hard work to get to this point but a boat will get you around, this is pretty easy to understand.

If I'm bank fishing at night and I'm getting no fish I might move a few times but even then I'm still in the same area more or less. And 9 out of 10 times I wont even move...I will just wait them out..this could take hours,but persistence in bank fishing is a major key to success.

Now if I'm in a boat I can mark bait, mark fish, read Gps, contour of the waters, net fresh bait easy, etc. Even water temp by 1 degree can make the word of difference, off the bank I have no clue. If we get no bites its possible the fish aren't in the area at all...we don't have to wait all night for this to become clear. Having a boat, knowing your waters and its fish patters make all the difference in the world !!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009