Flathead Catfish Fishing Spots?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by catfish clinton, Feb 2, 2009.

1. catfish clinton

catfish clinton New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anybody know any good flathead spots close to the Sandhills?

2. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    my best guess would be merritt

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    always seen some good pics from calamus

4. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Tri county canal :smile2:

5. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I didn't know that there were flatheads in Calamus??? How big?? I have caught some nice channels but never fished for flatheads there??

6. catfish clinton

State:
    Nebraska
    are there even any flatheads in merritt? seen pics of some nice flatheads from cub creek, but never caught any. wats a good bait to use for flatheads

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Definently go with live bait for Flatheads. Bluegills, Bullheads, Goldfish, Carp in the 6" to 12" size. Be patient when fishing for Flatheads. They're prowlers and they can be skidish to catch consistently. Use heavy tackle for them! The best times to catch them would be midnight to 4:00 am. Bait presentation is very important. Look for swallow water along edges and keep the bait of the bottom. Maybe around a foot or so. Let the fish take the bait and run before setting the hook, because flatheads are notorious for spitting the bait out, if they feel any resistence. Loose lining and drag helps the odds, then set the hook once the fish takes it.

Hope this helps ya!!

8. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

What part of the sandhills do you live in ??? And yes merrit has flatheads

9. catfish clinton

State:
    Nebraska
    near ainsworth. are there large numbers of flatheads at meritt or just a few?

10. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

I don't know about the numbers all I hear is stories so....but flatheads are there 4 sure....but there are some pretty good lakes in between you and merritt....I was located on a ranch (kime cattle) for 1 year and we fished all over the area...We pased merritt everytime we went to Valentine...I would try Big Alki (spelling) it is south of Valentine...There are many lakes in that area and south of there before you hit brownlee there is a road that takes you to merritt...

11. catfish clinton

State:
    Nebraska
    most of those lakes don't even have cats i don't think. all Big Alkali has is channels

12. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

Well I know 4 sure they hold cats (I have fished them) I'm not saying your gona get a PB but they are there...Hell we even got a flatty out of old snake river...

13. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Anyone know of places near Omaha that would be good for Flatties?

14. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It would surprise me if there was any water in the state that DIDN'T have catfish in it. Unless it was private. But never know I guess :smile2:

15. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'm not that familiar with your area Bill you are close to the river !! The Ne. fish guide will usually tell you what kinds of fish are in a particular body of water If you know the name of where ya want to fish. Will also give you areas of the state to look at :smile2:

16. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

Well if you head out to merritt I'm sure you know what gets the cats crazy...If you don't have a boat I usually fish just before the jeep trails nice and rocky there...good luck and take blood

17. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We used leeches at merrit and done well :smile2:

18. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    The only place Ive seen flats caught (not in the river) would be Two Rivers, lake #4. Occasionally the Elkhorn river floods and spills fish in that lake, and I recently found out that almost all the lakes there have tunnels connecting to each other. You can usually find me at lake #3 in my float tube.

19. CheeseBalls

CheeseBalls New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks liquid I'll have to look into that.