Flathead catfish fishing, pointers?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by larkin, Jun 7, 2009.

1. larkin

larkin New Member

State:
    Almo Ky
    I am gonna head out to a pond and i know of a rather large flathead in it, anybody have any tips on what baits to use to be productive? I catfish there a lot, but im new to flathead fishing lol... thanks in advance.

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    live bluegill big king kael hooks, 30 pound to 50 pound test,but id hit the rivers or lakes if you wana get into serois fishing

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nice lively gill,set it around the most likely area with some cover if possible.Use suitably strong tackle.Say a prayer.Wait.:wink:

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Pat pretty much hit the nail dead center. In my area gills and creek chubs are plentiful and I've had good luck with--we don't even want to include this year:eek:oooh: Good Luck and stay safe out there.

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    big old bluegill should do the deed:crazy:

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Just like everyone else said, live bait works best!

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    live bait for sure, and make sure your drag is set loose or use a clicker after ya cast or your gear could wind up in the water

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Fresh cut bait, mainly shad will out fish live bait for me 10 to one anyday.

Once I started using cut bait for flatheads I caught alot more fish, and I no longer had worries of catching and keeping live bait alive.

Use circle hooks, and keep your clickers off..Make sure your rod is secured in a good holder, when the fish hits dont touch the rod till it's bent over double and about to break

9. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    live bream by far!!!! it can produce sum hawg bass also about two ft. under a float.