flathead catfish fishing in cold water yes or no?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by rollinrooster69, Feb 25, 2009.

1. rollinrooster69

rollinrooster69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    in indiana can you get a flathead in the cold water is it worth my time yet in the rivers?

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I have caught them this time of year, but it was while blue and channel fishing. They are VERY few and far between. I'm not sure it would be worth targeting them, at all. But if you wanna try we always seem to catch the 'accidental' ones on cutbait and not live. I would target some blues this time of year, they are hungry!

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In Indiana.... no unless your just a gluttin for punishment.

I'll be waiting another month in a half or two... Ive actually stripper fished in the 30 degree snow.... but it Sucked, and I had no fun all. I could concentrate on was freezing my butt off. lol

4. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Stick to channels and blues for now.

5. shadgutter

shadgutter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my son and i have caught 3 flatheads and 8 channels in the last week out of our pond, biggest 13lbs.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    The chances of you catchin a flat when the water temp is under 50 degrees is very slim. I would just wait unless you wanted to just fish for blues or channels.

7. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know they can be caught further south.. But I know they bite in 30* weather

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    stay home john your too early still. what you dont trust what i tell you buddy? :wink:

i hope you put me down as your referral, hum rooster? lol

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey..... where you gettin those flatties from for your pond? surely you ain't getting 'em from the river are ya?:confused2::tounge_out:

10. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I sometimes keep a smaller flatty here and there to later relese in a freinds lake or pond... whats wrong with that? I just wont do it with any over 10#

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A few weeks ago just before the hellacious ice storm hit the area....I was fishing with skipjack guts and fillets. Must have put it right in front of its nose. I hooked into a big Flathead and couldn't get him up before he got me tangled in the rock ledges. I tried to wait him out....but after an hour, he never moved. I lost him. There are some occasional Flatheads caught in winter....but it is usually while targeting blues or channels. Right now the lakes here in Western Kentucky are hovering around 48 degrees water temp. It wont be long now!!!!:wink:

12. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have caught them in winter here in Okla. Just get in standing timber,water about 30'-40'. I use a 3/4 oz short shank 5/0 jig hook a bullhead hooked through the lips and drop it to bottom around the base of the trees. Its slow but you can get them to bite.