Flathead Catfish Fishing Help!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by TOPS, Feb 28, 2009.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I noticed this area at Cabin Creek off the Arkansas river, do you Flathead experts think the flats will be in those rock caves/holes?

Attached Files:

2. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Most defenetly top. expecilay if its nere a deep hole.

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I know you would use a live gill but would you use a slip bobber, hopeing the gill will swin under there.

4. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Yes I woould use a flot and cast it up stream and let it drift slowly along the bank there.

5. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    yeah i'd take a look at how deep it is in comparison to other nearby structure. from the looks of it though, i'd just try fishing it. i'd anchor some live bait right up next to it.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'm no expert but that looks like a great place to target Mr. Flattie. Yes it looks like a great place for a slip-float rig to me.

7. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Looks like a good spot. I know alot of other flathead fisherman that fish rivers, all most pull there boats to the bank because flats feed heavy at night in shallow water.

8. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would do the same!!

9. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    That is very true Jason!

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    only one way ta find out, reach in there and grab one:wink:

11. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im curious on just how deep the water is below that rock ledge. If there was another ledge like that below the surface close to the bottom, I would cast a live bluegill in there on the bottom.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    looks like it would be a good place to me ,top, especially just before spawn.

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree. If there was room I would also float a perch in there. It would be great if the current curled into the bank

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep, as said, those ledges and overhangs probably continue under water all the way down to the bottom. Bet there's some flats hanging in there somewhere.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I'd use some limblines, bankpoles, or anchored jugs to do some prospecting all along there. Live bait.

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  17. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    i have the same rock hangs on my home lake, i think that the flatties use them more for a traveling route to and from feeding and bedding areas, try fishing those places during low light conditions like early morning and evening or even into the night.....good luck...oh by the way if there is a brush pile like a beaver hut or alot of fall down trees in or around the area it will be better, but like some one said b4 target the spots that have deeper water close bye ....i like to fish those spots with floats...again good luck..:wink:

18. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'm no expert......
    Looks tasty, but there are several variables you may want to consider..

Current in that area, baitfish (feeding zone) nearby, depth and contour of the area, etc...

I've found some spots that looked like absolute flathead hotels, to find em not very good after scouting the surrounding area and seen BIG!!! flatheads pulled from a 2' log in the middle of nothing because it provided just the right current break/attack zone/easy ambush/whatever......

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    if it was nice and deep near that ledge overhand I'd just throw a sunfish on a carolina rig 2-4 oz of weight close to that opening and wait:wink:

20. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As they said drift a bait around it. Just ease off of it during the spawning time so they can get a good hatch. Take a bank sinker and check the bottom for boulders. And see if its limestone if its limestone it prolly has holes in it making a great fishing spot that you never take your friends to :smile2: