Flathead catfish fishermen of Colorado River

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 14, 2007.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im only going to ask questions to ya cause yall fish in the same rivers as i do

so... i took everyones info and made a {little} "huge" :tounge_out: difference in my tackle.....

im going to go and get a larger rod ( cause i want to anyway ) for flatties.. also ill get some 7/0 kahles and try to get some 3-5 in gills with my cast net ( once i get my new one :angry:)

now my question is

i was going to go and get some 20 cajun advantage ( main line ) and 50 cajun for my leaders. so is that bulking it up a bit

does anyone use different line for a perticular reason ???:confused2:

2. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    I use Berkley Big Cat. Works well for me and is high vis.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    20lb in havasu lake should be heavy enough. don't think i'd worry about the heavier leader much. unless fishing is bad rocks somewhere. if you ever go south onto river, still think 20 is light though. JMO though.
    (i did catch my 28lbr in avator on 17 P-line though) now using 40 and going to spool a reel with 60.
    try getting gills with hook and small pole. more fun too. around docks and back bays. when biting, i get on red salmon eggs, small pieces of crawlers, and sometimes just gold gaberdeen hooks.
    wish you luck buddy. sometime gonna hit havasu up again. will try and let you know when.
    gary

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    not yet am i going to get the 20

that will be when i order from catconnection

ill be using 14 but am getting 20 for mainline and probably 50 for my leaders cause its the same price :roll_eyes:

5. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    you probably already said, but i'm old and forgetful with some things. :embarassed: you fish from boat or shore? where do you usually fish at? just curious? honestly, i've never fished havasu for flats myself, but my son used to when he live there. i always did stripers and channels. i know a few spots he's told me about, and i want to come up there next spring and try them.
    gary

6. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    but we might fish off of our boat sometime"""im talking about shore now thought"""

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    site six and or misquete bay and or anywhere

i fish rif=ght off of the channel next to site6 and got spooled

8. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    sleek wait a week, I will have this care package out to you tomarrow. It has some line and hooks that you will use, so dont waste your money yet:wink:

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    spent many a time fishing off of point of site six. nice deep channel there. another suggestion son has is the dock by ramp just on az side of parker dam. said he's caught a few there.
    in boat, suggested as one spot was down by intake pipes.
    if my old body is up to it next yr, want to spend a few days camped out on lake and try some of these spots myself. i've always liked the lower end of lake to stay away from the idiots in the speed boats.
    gary

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

there about as bad as the bassers but they play rap music so loud that you can hear them a 1/2 mile away

if u got a sterio system like that then at least play good music :wink:

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

that would be great GETHOOKED... i got something that you might like to ( if you like to collect the older fishing tackle )

not to be nosy but can i ask what size and type is being sent to me
    a tackle shop is like a summer home to me :big_smile:

12. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Im sending 4-5 spools of the new crystal fireline 20-30lb test. One spool 50 lb mono, 25-50 4/0 octopus & kahle hooks, 25 7/0 -10/0 kahle hooks, 15 6/0 kahle, mixed assort of smaller hooks. mixed bag of weights 2-4 oz pyramid and cannon weights. I really dont do anything with old tackle, just post the pics you have when u catch em with any of this!!! That would do it for me!!!:wink:

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

My god Thankyou

i got one question for the fireline

did u give me that for using on my current setup...

cause the more and more i think about using a bigger rod combo the more i like it cause i have to get a new one anyway :confused2:

but i have a couple of lighter rods still and still like them

14. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    i did it for your current setup, it sound like you wanted to stay that way. That line is very small diameter so your gear will handle it great. And it is very tough. The hooks are all sizes, it will gear you up for all sizes of cats! ENJOY:wink:

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    im probably going to get a couple of big rods anyway cause i do plan on drifting around the topack marsh area soon and if i get a big un i dont want it to spool me or break my rod

but ur care package will not go to waste

i do like light tackle but the fish out here are a little to big for it...( catfish... i dont count bass as fish anymore but bait or chum) :smile2::smile2::smile2:

I personally thank you for your advise cause you are willing to help a 16 yr old Flatcat nube like myself and go out of your way for em.

i hope to meet you in person one day.

And to anyone else that has helped me out abunch and forgot about em im srry... just yell at me and once my memory returns then ill post something good about u too

16. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use 7 now but im curious about some of you guys taken big cats

i dont trust little swivels under that much pressure

i was thinking about maby the 1-2/0 range or so

( looking in the catconnection book )

17. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    your welcome----I have been in your shoes before at one time or another--so I always pass it forward. If we as outdoorsman keep doing that we will always ensure a future for your sport, let it die and so shall the sport.

As far as swivels I use saltwateer swivels--i dont know what size.but they are rated at 200lbs!! They are no bigger than regular swivels, and I love them. I get em at Bass Pro.:wink:

18. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    You asked about Colorado River fishing.....this is what I use and it seems to work good. Most of the areas that I fish on the river are within the main channel. Because of the current, fishing at night, and the grass that is in the water, I use 65lb test PowerPro braided line.

I have never had any thoughts about the braided line because I get bites all the time from flatties when I have known that I have grass wrapped around my line as well. You can use smaller lb test line if desired, but I don't think the braided line changes anything.

If you are fishing in one of the lakes off of the river, you would probably be better suited with braided line and a mono leader or just using mono line...but make sure it is at least 30lb test...a large flattie will shred anything less than this.

Ryan

19. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

what size should i use if using 3-5 in gills

probably 5-6

i saw a guy last week catch a 7lb flat on the 5/0 kahle in the catfishassortment thing but dont trust them ( quality ):wink:plus im placing a order on catconnection next week