Flathead Catfish Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by texasaggie23, Oct 2, 2008.

1. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I posted this in the flathead Q&A thread, but thought I may get a quicker answer with a new thread:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any clue what time of year big yellas like to feed on small channels and blues (up to 5 pounds)? We've pulled in quite a few blues that were completely scarred from a big ol' yella cat that had been sucking on them while they were on our line, but I can't remember the time of year we caught them. We also have a buddy who caught a 62 on a 3 pound channel. Could it also be just a certain phase of the moon or a certain water temperature when they feed on such large baits?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Chris, I would imagine that Flatheads feed on large baits through much of the summer and into fall. I have used large bullheads and drum for bait. Undoubtedly, they can eat some huge stuff! Like a big ole carp! However, did you actually see a Flathead "sucking" on the blues you were catching? Just curious because I have never heard of such a thing. Also, moon phase and all that other stuff probably does play some factor....who really knows what though. I think that's what intrigues many of us about flatheads. One night they are there and feeding, the next...nothing.

3. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Actually, we pulled a large flat up one time that had a blue around 6 pounds in his mouth when i was fishing with my dad when i was about 10. When we got him up to the top, he let go and swam off. I fish with a few of my friends now, and occasionally we pull up blues and channels that are bleeding and have teeth marks from a large catfish from right behind the head down to the tail. I'm pretty sure we're fishin around some big fish, so I'm starting to think that we may have to supersize our bait to "weed out" the smaller fish. Though you would think an 8" warmouth would be big enough to deter a small blue or channel. Yeah, I know what you mean. You finally think you have them figured out and then they do something different.

4. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    I have seen channel cats up to 10lbs that have been chewed up from larger flatheads. As well as large carp in the 5-6lb range.I personaly dont see any ryme or reason for it other than that big flatheads eat other fish that will fit in there mouth.Thats some big flatheads!!!!

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey,
    I was fishing one night, and had more than likely dozed off,, I woke up to my clicker buzzin'. I got the rig and started workin on this thing, and couldn't hardly get it slowed down, finally did and turned, bringing it back to me and about 3/4 of the way back, the line got real light,, I could still feel something on, so ,, anyway, I reeled it in, and found a 4lb, LM bass had eaten my bluegill,,, however, he was all messed up, looked scaled, and his dorsal fin was all but gone,, . he wasn't fighting much... I figured after he'd eaten my bluegill, something come along and ate him.:dribble:. never did see the other fish, but, he sure was tuggin.......
    I pulled the dead bluegill out of him, threw the Bass in the cooler, and caught a pretty nice 8lb channel on the bluegill later,,, :roll_eyes:

Since then, I've been lookin for larger bait and I bought some bigger hooks!!:big_smile:
    I was using an 8/o circle, and have since found some 10/0 and 13/0 semi circles.:big_smile_2:

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mid to Late fall a few years back I caught a good flathead on a small piece of cut bait. The funny thing was that when I took the hook out I looked down and saw the tail of a good size blue cat - like maybe 3 or 4 pounds - sticking up out of his throat. His stomach was full of that blue, but he still ate my little piece of cut bait!

7. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Caught an 18" flathead once on a huge bream. He'd swallowed it and the tail was sticking out of his throat. Not only that, but his body had a crook in it about half way down bent toward his belly. Told the kids he was sooooo full he was doubled over.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I got my biggest one of the year last year at #37 on 10/17. Ya just never know.

9. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    i have caught some really big flats on all kinds of baits before did use a carp one time that was about 3lbs and never found the jugline i put him on lol also big cats are gonna feed when they get hungry think thats all its about honestly i've caught big cats all times of the year your just goin to have to give it a try year round till you find when they bite best in your neck of the woods you might consider making a journal of what bait you used time of day water depth clarity temp barometer pressure current weather conditions and everything like that so you can start to look for patterns in that area thats what i plan on starting up here soon as i have lost my old cattin journal it might make things easier on you hope this helps

10. texasaggie23

texasaggie23 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the answers y'all. I thought that it may have been around october for some reason. Actually, I went to see my parents last weekend and looked at some of our old pictures and noticed a trend in the time of year. I was looking at the dates of some of the trips when we caught blues and channels that were skinned up and realized that most of these trips took place in late october and early november before it started to really cool down and in march and april when the water started to warm up. We're gonna try it in a couple of weeks with some big perch and carp that we have been stockpiling.

thecatman- Thats a really good idea you've got there man; I may have to start taking notes like that. Maybe we could figure out them big ones then.

11. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Ha I was fishing on the Red River this weekend and two boys camped next to me cought some nice size Blues . Two was over 20 lbs. and one was 35 lbs. One had a one to two pound cats tail sticking out of his mouth. We desided to see what the other two was feeding on . Guess what they all were feeding on nice size catfish 1 lb. to 2lb. size cat in there stomach .

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Some of the Flats we caught on bullheads, you could feel the sharp pectoral fin of the bullhead in the Flats gullet, or whatever you'd call'it