Flathead catfish experience - please read

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mudkat, Aug 3, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i was fishing at a pond up the street from me and i was useing chicken livers and i caught a few channels about and i had them on a stringer and the stringer was tide to my bike.i look over and i see my bike scidding on the rocks so i run over and pull the line up and there was a huge flathead chomping on my channels he had all three in his mouth and them channels had to be about 19inches apeice that must have bin one hungry catfish and it was at a park pond .i think people catch fish other places and come at night and throw them in>>>>>>......

2. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Sounds like your fishing trip started out good?

Were you able to save any of the fish on your stringer?

Ken

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    So did you pull it in?

4. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well i would be happy to see a flatboy in there now u can go after him if them channels were that big and he had althem in his mouth then he must of been really big. well good luck either way and i hope you catch more fish.

5. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    no icouldnt it would get about 1 1/2 ft from the shore and it would swim away so id throw the channels out again and hed come back in a matter of seconds i did this about for times.the only way i could have gotin him is if i jumped in and trust me i thought about it

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like you need to fish for flatheads in that pond. They come to shore to feed at night.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    OK HERES WHAT I WOULD DO

get a big ole hook and get one of them channels and hook it by that adolpise fin on their back and cut a few fins and have the rod on free spool and your thumb on the spool and in the other hand have the channel and just lob the channel out

if it is at night U SHOULD GET ONE believe me it dont need to be 20 feet out if it is turning night out side...

GOOD LUCK Hey make sure u got some one with u next time so u can have someone take a pic of u holdin that MONSTER

again

GOOD LUCK

Jeff

8. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    Go back and get'em cause you know he is there. Good Luck to ya.

9. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
    yea goback get that flat

10. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Did you catch that thief???? Great work on saving the bike!!!

11. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'm putting on my hip waders.lol

12. catcatcher311

catcatcher311 New Member

State:
    Ne
    I think using any kind of live bait you could definatly get a couple out of there or at least that one sounds like he was pretty hungry.

13. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    You should definitely go back there with some live bait, especially small channel cats. You will definitely get that flathead.

That would be quite a sight you saw!

14. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    See whith those channels just break off the the horns with your fingers.They'll snap right off and throw him out there and sit.

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I hope you have heavy enough equipment for that monster.

16. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    thats one heck of a flattie. you need to go back and catch that monster

17. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I woulda used one of the channels on a hook. Good luck catchin the biggun.

18. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tie a hook to your stringer and put a channel on it and hook it to your bike, when he comes in and takes the bait... take off on your bike and pull him out of the water.... you could start a new fishing craze... anyway good luck...

19. serb

serb New Member

State:
    Drexel Hill, PA
    I would just keep the channel on a stringer attached to your bike and have a hook on the backside of the cat... then if you feel a pull, you pedal your legs off and see what happens.

That would be a first for me, seeing someone pedal a fish in

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    yep i have 2 smaller lakes close to me that i have caught many flatheads from the lakes are both around 200 acres. i got checked by a game warden once i was all legal i think he just wanted to awhile we talked for prolly 2 hours while i was fishing and while we was talking 1 of my ballons went down i use ballons as bobbers any way i let the fish run for a minute then set the hook it was around 15 lb flathead on a 4 inch perch. he asked me if i caught very many flatheads in the lake i said ya some he told me many years ago they put some in the lake to try and stop the over population of small crappie i said u got that right i catch allmost as many crappie as shad with my throw net when i take my boat out and get bait. he asked me in so many words not to keep the flatheads because it was a small lake and they where trying to get a better population of bigger crappie and that the flatheads should help this out eating alot of small crappie. so dont over look smaller lakes and ask your game wardens whats stocked in them.u might just stumble onto a honey hole.