Flathead catfish during the day ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 24, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Just wondering how many of you avid flatty fishermen are able to pull big flattys during the day. I know from experience that it is the hardest time of a 24 hour period to catch these guys. So where and how are they caught in the day? I know some factors would include the weather(cloudiness), river depth, and available cover. I fish a shallow river(avg 3 1/2 to 5 ft) and would like to know the best way to approach them during the day. Any suggestions ?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the river i fish is averages about those depths and i NEVER do any good between the hours of 8am to 11am. its great for channels though, maybe because the flats are shut down. there seems to be a feeding time for flats around "high noon" for about an hour but you have to be where they are at then. its usually in really deep water. whatever is the deepest water in your area thats where you need to be then. snags are a plus. "high noon" is really good and then between 4pm to 7pm is good in the deep areas too. unless im out channel fishin and get bored, i leave the flats be till 4-5pm or so. the river being up a little, or being cloudy out will up your odds a little.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My 2 biggest flatheads at 50 and 40-lbs have both come in the daytime, I do believe I have caught more total flatheads in the daytime also.

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm with Flathunter on this.Some of my largest flatheads have come in the daylight hours.It seems the early dawn and right at dusk has always produced the best,but I've caught them in the afternoon also.The time of year I think has more to do with it than anything.I managed to catch one lastweek at 11:45 am. 46 degree water.Yeah you can catch them.I don't recommended fishing June- Aug.I just haven't had the luck in those months.To me it's just too hot for me and the fish.Sept-March.I'm a daylight man after that it goes dark.

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    Flatheads are actully easier to catch during the day, if you know where they live. You may have to throw the bait right in their face, if no hits in a few mintues move to the next hole. A flathead will bite on a live bait even if not hungry just as a territorial type bite. After dark they are out on the prowl and it's more of a hit and miss time unless it's right before dark and sunrise when they are moving back into their "den".

6. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chris, do flatheads look for structure like big blues do? LOL And do the find it as often as big bluecats do? LOL

7. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I refuse to answer your question based on it's merit. LOL

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    y'know, now that ive thought about it, all of my "big" flats have been caught during the day. all my freinds also were caught during that 4-8pm window. there were a few exeptions but not many!

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, OK I'll accept that!! LOL Considering the question's true meaning!!LOL

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I have caught flats at all times , during the day , dusk, dawn and late at night. But my biggest flat was during the day in the morning.

11. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I usually don't have a problem catching them during the day.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes we catchum in the daylight. if the river has been steady they tend to be in holes with cover. if the river is rising then fish the creeks and slack water areas,cause they will be on the feed! dont forget to try fresh cut on one rod every time out too. a lot of times they are in a nutral mood and cuts the only thing they hit.

13. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well I have to say its about 6 & 1/2 dozen the other. river scum & I have caught'em about every hour of the day.
    Day: when river scum has his shirt off...I get a nice reflection from the sun.
    Night: he keeps the skeeters away.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh we have a comedian in the room. lmao

15. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've fished more in daylight... there is an advantage to being able to see what you're doing. Although, I like to fish real early sometimes just before sunrise. So, it's not exactly like fishing mid-day.

I will fish mid-afternoon, usually in deeper water (or near deeper water) very tight to some type of cover.

Shawn

16. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

thanks for all the info but i'll stick with the night fishing. it gets too hot around here during the summer.:)

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I fish for flats mainly during the day. From daylight to 10 or 11 am we'll wade the shallow riffle (3-5') below a low water dam on the Neosho river here in Se Kansas for blues and channel. We'll then crawl out of the river and clean our fish we caught wading...put them on ice...eat some lunch under a shade tree...launch the boat, and then anchor in front of the spillway and fish for flathead and the bigger blues.

The flats migrate upstream to spawn, and can't get over the dam....effectively stacking them up like cordwood during the peak of the run. The various rockpiles and holes below the spillway ALWAYS hold flathead AND blues alike (Sometimes in the same holes)...not to mention the incredible numbers of shad, channel, crappie, whitebass, hybrids, walleye, and every type of rough fish you can imagine.

We typically fish from 10 or 11 AM until 5 or 6 pm...usually. But then there's those marathon trips where we pack lunch AND dinner in the cooler. Some of those trips last sometimes until midnite or beyond....especially if we have a tent pitched up in the riverpark.

Black perch or punkinseed is my bait of choice...although I do use shad or a big wad of nightcrawlers at times. (Especially when the river gets up into the river park during high water) Cut bait works too...but it needs to be fresh for the flatheads.

We'll hook a 3-5" perch behind the dorsal fin with a Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus circle hook...rigged Carolina style...anchored by a 2 or 3 oz pyramid or similar no roll design sinker to keep the bait from washing down with the current. I'll also typically use 30 lb P-line or Big Game hi vis mono...or 50 lb hi vis Power pro braid strung on Ambassadeur 6500 or 6000 reels on an 8' MH catmaxx, a 7 1/2' Heavy action St. Croix flippin stik, or an 11' medium action Predator E-Glass rod.

The 11' is my choice when using the no stretch braid line because its more flexible nature helps with absorbing the hard core surges and shock that a 30-40 lb flat can dish out. The more limber rod also allows the pivot action of the circle hook to work properly...and allows the fish to load the rod better when it bites.

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have caught all of my bigger flats( over 40lbs) during the day. The 52lber came at about 2:00 in the afternoon. THe flatheads and blues will be holding near STRUCTURE during the day.

19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Good point Slim. The fish here do the same thing during the day. They'll hunker down behind a current break such as a rockpile, log jam, or brush pile and wait for dinner to wash by them a little too close. Even better is to find structure within a hole.

20. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    When I'm fishing for big flats, its 90% during day light hours. If I'm gone to long after dark I catch a heck of a cussing when I get home!!!!!!!!:crying: