Flathead Catfish Dumped

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, May 21, 2009.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Just recently, some local guys I know ran across a pile of flatheads thrown off the side of a dirt road near the river. They said there were close to 100 flatheads rotting. They have photos. Who did it? Nobody knows. :angry:

If anybody has any info on this, please PM me.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Does Georgia have laws that cover that? I would like to see them thrown under the jail.

3. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats a doggone shame, you know i witnessed sombody doing that with a mess of channel cats. guy just dumped his cooler and was about to leave, so i said "you leaving your fish". he says, "awe, i didnt feel like cleaning um". are u kidding me? why would somone do this?

4. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I think it's illegal to waste fish or game animals.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Sounds like they need some country back woods justice!!!:angry:
    That burns me up!!! I don't like ba$$ or gar but I'd never do that to anything or waste anything like that!:angry::angry::angry:
    Be great if you find out who did that...:confused2:

6. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I just wonder who could have caught that many and why they would throw them out. They said it looked like 100 fish in one pile, all flatheads.

7. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    They may have been netting and someone got to close as they were trying to get out with the fish.

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I would like to find him... Give him a big pat on the back....put him on a pedestule and shoot him in the f%$#%^&^ head!!! :angry:. Well maybe just give him a good ol fashion country azz whuppin!

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe it was the kill off from a paylake or a load that went bad on delivery to one?

10. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    If it was a kill off form a pay lake the state should close it!! If it was a delivery, the fish were probably caught out of state waters so charge them destruction of public property.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    sad, enough BS to bring the CPR and CCC guys together on something. You know how many homeless people that would feed? that irks the heck out of me....

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    ......that sure would be a sad sight to see. For those of you not familiar with our fisheries here in Georgia, flatheads are an invasive species in most georgia waters....and not welcomed by most. If a DNR agent knew about this activity they probably wouldn't do a thing as they would like to see them gone. I've read GA DNR literature that recommends anyone that catches flathead catfish to harvest them or to dispose of them.......then in the back of the phamplet it has catfish recipes...lol. Heck, I wouldn't be suprised if this was an act of the DNR........although I would hope they would dispose the fish in a better manner after their flathead shocking. This is just the way it is in Georgia.......I'm glad flatheads are here though, and I release any flathead any size i catch to ensure they stay here. Hopefully things change for the better....hopefully sooner then later

13. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    i know this act of disrespect to catfisherman has to have you PO'd paul, especially since it happened on the water that you fish everyday. I was just curious though, could you tell from the pic if there were any bigguns? I know the flatheads are up and coming still on westpoint....and evidently have been doing quite well...........I just hope this single act doesn't set them back too much.

14. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If the govt says to kill all you see, I don't see how you can be mad at anyone but the govt. It seems weird to me that the catmen down there don't protest more but maybe the fish grow fast enough it doesn't matter.

15. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That is sad. Even if the state considers it invasive species I would think there is laws against that type of disposal of fish.

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    It was hard to tell from the photos I saw but they looked to be pretty good sized ones. Some people, not myself, think the DNR shocked them up and dumped them. I personally don't think they would dump them on the side of a dirt road like that, at least I would hope not. I talked to a biologist last summer and he said the DNR had no plans to try to remove flatheads from the Chattahoochee River.

17. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    you'd think the dnr would have put the word out to people that would've liked some good fish for a meal rather than just dumping them...what a waste...:0a7:

18. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    That sucks! They could have atleast given them to a food bank or something if they were not going to throw them back.

Not to get off the subject but if the DNR catches you releaseing a flathead back into waters you caught it out of can they fine you?

19. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I am not saying the DNR is responsible in any way. I do NOT think they did it. All I was saying is that some people around here think they did.

And it looks like I am out of thank you's for today, so thanks.

20. catfish1083

catfish1083 New Member

State:
    georgia
    well i have to say i am so ill and discussed with this information that i didnt even want to reply to it at first but it kept eating away at me to they point that i had to. it makes no seince to me why on earth someone would do this.

i mean if nothing else give the fish to someone who wants them. i have cought fish(eating sized) and after a long day on the water just didnt want to clean them so you bet i found a man to give them to who was very greatful to be able to have a dinner of fresh fish for he and his wife.