Flathead Catfish do feed in cold water

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by CBH, Dec 22, 2009.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Being a long time muskie fisherman, I can tell you guys for certain that some flatheads do feed in very cold water. Last week, just before freeze up, I was at Salt Fork lake with my buddy, and as usual we were trolling for muskies. The water surface temp was 37.7 degrees. We were trolling at a GPS speed of 4.2 mph when this 34 inch flathead hit lure!! This certainly was not a huge suprise to us, because it made the 3rd flathead that we had caught accidentaly in the last 2 weeks out. I also know of 2 other small flathead caught by saugeye fishermen recently!
    I have no idea how to target these fish this time of year, but I can tell you that they will eat during the coldest of months. They may not eat much, but they do eat.

Attached Files:

2. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    almost a X mas flattie

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sure they eat. If they went 3 months without eating, they'd be some dead fish. They just don't eat near as much, nor near as frequently. You can catch them year round, if you can take the weather.

4. Great report brother.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris thanks for sharing your Flathead review. I find it interesting that they were active enough to hit lures at 4.2 mpg in 37* water.

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    good post, i know of a few other guys that catch flatheads while fishing for saugeye, i know i had one on last winter and lost it.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Countryboy79 caught four flatties last weekend in water temps in the mid 40s. I always heard that once the temp got below 52, they hunkered down and practically went dormant. As evidenced by these posts, they do indeed continue to feed.

Bill in SC

8. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    nice flat and thanks for the report!

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Now I'm really depressed... You catch bigger cats by accident, when they ain't supposed to bite than I can by intent when they are.. Go figure !

Congrats and thanks for the info. Maybe it will all add up to a grown one for me someday.

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great catch man! It doesn't suprise me though like it may to some. :wink: Happy Holidays and Congrats on the nice flathead! rollo

11. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    nice catch :cool2:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Put something in front of their face and they will strike.

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Congrats on a nice catch Chris. And thanks for the info. I wonder if because of the surface temperature and possible baitfish schooling that they still feed until the temperature drops a few more degrees. Question; Were you trolling lures on the surface, slightly below the surface, or deeper. Also was there any structure you noticed such as a possible hump? When the strike occured?

14. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I caught a 39lb flat head in 48 degree water temp, 2 weeks ago, and caught 3 more Sun. morn from 10lb to 15lbs, 45 degree water temp.. Its starten to look like to me that flat heads bite pretty good in the winter.

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks for the post and pic,,That Flatcat looks like he's not missed too many meals!!:wink:

16. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    I know they do. Ive caught flatties in every month on the Ohio. Actually caught my pb on a cold day in March. However my favorite month would have to be August by far. Me and my buddies caught 300+ lbs of flatties the year before last in the middle of August! All in one night! Most ranging in the 20 to 25 lb range. The fact that we chummed with fresh cut carp in that area regularly may have helped that night as well.

17. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    We were trolling my own line of muskie lures, http://www.tuffshadlures.com and our lures were about 2' off the bottom in 15' of water. Flat bottom, no structure close by.

18. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Chris congrats. Reps to ya! Merry Chrismas!

19. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hell Chris change the name of them Muskie Lures to Flathead Lures and sell them to the Troops(Cat Men) and smile all the way to the bank :wink: J.D.

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    That's a nice Flatty.Wish I could brave the cold but guess I'm just a pansy
    when it comes to fishing in this winter weather.Con-grads on a nice outing and Merry Christmas to You and Yours.
    Stay Safe Out There.