Flathead catfish, creek mouths, and rain

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    To prepare for my 2007 Flathead campaign, I recently scoped out a new spot I want to try. I have never used the tactic of fishing in creek mouths after it rains. Can you guys give some advice when fishing in these conditions.

do I fish the current breaks?
    do I fish up the creek?
    deep or shallow?
    baits?
    day or night?

Thanks

2. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    HOW EVER YOU FISH IT,HOLD ON TO YOUR POLES. I'VE HAD SOME VERY GOOD FISHING IN THOSE KIND OF SITUATIONS

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    There is often an eddy right on the downstream side of a creek entering a river. Thats where I would start. Good Luck.

4. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    All of the above:big_smile:

Do what Rushing said. Setup at the mouth of the creek and cast to the downstream side. Don't be afraid to try really shallow.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Current breaks are probably your best bet, like previously stated, eddies are a key feature to start around. I would also look to fish around evening time closer to shoreline structure in that sort of situation.

6. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    fish the point where the the creek and the river meet. put baits on the river side and the creek side of the channels. a big rain can make the fishing great. a flooded creek pouring in to the river is what you want.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    One other thing to consider is bait fish. If you cast your net around the area, and nothing shows up in the net it might just be that the creek up or down river is more suitable. If you can't catch bait in the creek, you can't catch catfish.

8. extremecatfishing

extremecatfishing New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    try to catch your river or lake on rising water. catfish love fresh water runs. i prefer fishing early morning or sunset fishing. i am 41 years old and fished 31 of my short life hard! I LOVE CATFISHING!:cool2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

Keep em coming.

I want as info as possible to fish these situations.