Flathead catfish combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by fisherman94580, Dec 31, 2006.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Next year I'm going to start mainly fishing for flatheads. Tomorrow I'm going out to Bass Pro to get a second rod and reel. I only want to spend fifty dollars at most for one though. Could you guys give me some pointers on what to get. I'll probably be mostly fishing in the Ohio River, and paylakes... Thanks for any help!

2. MRFLATHEAD

MRFLATHEAD Guest

catmaxx 7ft 6inch hvy action or a 8ft med hvy action rods are on sale right now 24.88 each

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    OPINION:

On the Ohio River I'd use a rod take can hold the bait to the bottom (3 or 4 to 6 oz sinkers).
    With those weights and then plus your baits, IF you want to cast proper plz mke sure the rod is RATED for the wieghts!!!! Over an 8 oz lure wieght rating maybe to much to dectect "Lite Bires" if "Tight Lining".

OPINION: IF @ a 3 oz lure rating u will not get much distance from shore.

Hope this helps some.

:cool2:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If you plan on targeting flatheads in the ohio river, you better get something with alot of backbone. There are alot of places in any given part of the ohio that a flathead can drag you into if you don't have the right equipment. This can be a real heart breaker if you hook one and loose it cause you couldn't control it.

I think it would be hard to find a good set-up for 50.00 to use in the river!!!

5. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
  6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
  7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    LoL for the price he mentioned that was the first thing that I thought of. Id use it if i got it for x mas. That story sounded a little fishy lol. I wonder if Bill cooked that one up his self.

8. fishing is fun

fishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i have 1 and like it good and stout the reel will hold about 350 of 30lb test i might buy another 1

10. musky76

musky76 New Member

State:
    il
    i use nothing but ugly stick.It will never break.I use the salmon trolling rod about 7 feet long but i dont buy cheap reels. IF YOU DONT WANT TO LOOSE A BIG FISH BUY GOOD ROD REEL LINE AND HOOKS.I LIKE MY PENN 965 MUSKY REEL BUT IT AINT CHEAP.IF YOU HAVE A LIMITED BUDGET GET THE ONE ON SALE AT BASS PRO .SEE WHAT HAPPENS IT MIGHT BE JUST FINE.:smile2:

11. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I always wondered about these river combos. Last time I was in bass pro I looked at them one of them on the rack of many did not work trust me I sat there a half hour playing with them. They looked really good. but since that one didnt work I didnt buy one. I now am probably going to order one for the price you cant beat it.
    stephen

12. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    yeah, im thinkin of pickin one up since there pretty cheap, or mabye the pond fising version

13. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    For ten dollars more I would go with the river model just in case you hook onto a lunker.

14. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    if ya just want something now and understand that it wont last long bringin in big fish, then I suggest a catstik combo by shakespeare for around $20.

for something that will last, i would get either a penn 209 or 309 for less than $50 and find a decent rod for cheap to put it on.