Flathead catfish catching

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by daredevle, Sep 9, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello anglers i recently read an article about flatheads it said that there olny feed ant night does this mean i cant cacth them in the day time or mourning i know people use limb lines but o think that takes too long so help me out here im stumped:confused2:

2. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nope....Flat heads are opportunistic. Just like you and I. They feed at night and day, One of the member wrote a nice piece on this, and the feeding habits of flat heads. Matter of fact early this summer I watched a guy pull out 6 or 7 flat heads mid day in 90 degree weather, You just gotta target them during this time.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Its all about getting out there and experimenting with your potential spots. I personally have only caught them during hours of relative darkness (night time or early morning or even days with good overcast). I have read where flatties will bite during the day as long as you fish along tight cover where the fish are most likely to hang out. I hope thst this helps you out!

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    like said they do feed in the daytime. take a look in the members picture section and you will see many flathead pics from the day light hours. you just havev to get in the stuff afterum.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Ive caught a lot of flatheads in the day, but most of the bigger ones were right before dark.

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I have personaly caught 2 flathead on the bank of the colorado in bright daylight while the boats were flying up and down looking at me like I was stupid for fishing at that time. It really depends on the spot and the situation of the fish. It's great if you can find a hole there in and hit it when there hiding in it!

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    By the way though .. Most of my catches have definately been right before dark just as wolfman says!

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    As you can see you can catch them in the daylight. I have caught them near noon in the morning and 3 hours before dark. But you can maximize your time by fishing thru the night. Waay more fish after dark.

9. irishangler

irishangler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I absolutely agree with the previous posts about flatheads biting in the middle of the day. They seem to hold tighter to structure during the day which means you have to put live bait really close and run the risk of a few more snags. But it's worth it!

mike in SW VA

10. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I am sorry but I must disagree with some of the above statements.

If your in good water you can catch the monsters during daylight hours.Seems to me the only real difference I have found is that the smaller flats bite during the evening much more thereby causing it to seem as tho the bite is better at that time.

My biggest this year did come after dark but only a few minutes after sunset,but the numerous other 20-30 lb fish caught in the heat of the day seem to be the norm.

You can search my previous posts where I had put up pictures and notice all the big ones are during the noon hours or late morning.

I think it all boils down to the local fish population and nothing more.:wink:

Big baits and as a trout fisherman would match the hatch use the same bait thats readily available to the fish. Thats just my 2 cents.

11. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well said catmatt. I agree to that. I catch many good flats in the light of day and I move often from snag to snag every 45 min to hour max. The bigger snags that lay just ahead of a deep hole will sometime keep me there a little longer. But I keep moving. At night I fish well know big fish haunts that I know where the snags are and where to cast to not get hung up too much. I set tight for hours on these spots and wait the fish out to come out of the hole to feed. I caught my biggest two weeks ago a 38lb one at around 5:00 in the afternoon on a 95* day here in south east Texas. My biggest before was a 18lb one I caught at midnight. Now I say all this as a rod and reel fisherman. Running lines which I do as well, I play as a night time game only! Big baits- big hooks- big line- big holes in the river. LOL I caught a 67 like this in 2005. I fish a really nasty river and do not land many of the big fish I hook but one day I will. At least I hope I will!!! lol

12. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    me and my buddies that i fish with have caught flatheads both day and night. the best came out around 2-3 in the mourning but we have caught some just before dark or just after daylight. haven't caught any in the middle of the day but i'm not sayin you can't, i just don't fish though those hours because the water that i fish is a popular water and has too many people for me through the day.

13. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    I catch all mine during the day,,,150 last year and going on 100 this year,, i dont go fishing at night