Flathead catfish by the trees ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Drawout, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    In most lake s their are sections that have lots of trees ,would this be a good spot to target flatheads and if so how deep should the water be?

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Standing trees or laying down trees.. if they are standing i would say a good chance you will catch blues and channels but if they are laying in the water then i would assume there would be flatheads... How deep is the water, and is there any baitfish running the area? Those would be the questions to ask... but right now since its fall or as i call it pre-fall.. i woould say target the 20 to 30ft holes.... and use live bait.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    water averages about 12 feet and they are standing trees and yes at night their are lots of shad their.

4. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    At 12 feet i would have to say there are flatheads there.. i would say get you some shad and give it a try.... just watch out for the under water roots.. could be an abundance of snags.. but I will be really intrested in how well you do..... Good luck man

5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    The flooded timber sections of lakes are excellent flathead spots. Look for the old creek or river channels running through them. If you have Sonar on your boat these are easy to find. If you don't have Sonar on your boat then you can still find the river channels by just looking at the standing trees. The trees followed the old river and there will be a meandering clear path everywhere it went. Fish right on the edges of the old channels where the water level changes from deep to shallow. The fish use these old channels like a highway.The more wood, the more flatheads. Good luck.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I fish alot of standing timber on Kerr Lake in Oklahoma but these trees have very few limbs left on them. This is an excellent area to catch fish and seldom have trouble getting fish to the boat. That being said We just fished a tournament on Lake Sardis in Oklahoma and the trees in this lake have all their limbs still and the 30 lb. test line I use just would'nt get the fish in. The lesson I learned here is for this type of tree structure you need to be prepaired with 80 to 100 lb. line and a reel that you can really horse a fish with. You may also have to fish straight under the boat in these areas.
    All types of catfish use the trees for cover to ambush prey and alot of your bigger fish will be in these areas. You will have to learn whats under the surface in your area and adjust your tackle for your situation.