Flathead catfish bite

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by H2o, Dec 29, 2006.

1. H2o

H2o New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im want to try Flathead catfishing. I want to know when a Flathead bites, is it a soft bite or do they sometimes hit hard. I am planning on using live bait, say perch or shad.

2. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    H2O the answer is Yes! LOL I've had them grab the bait and head south like a train and I've had them fiddle with the bait for 10 minuites before they would swim off with it. In the spring of the year I get more hard hit and runs and the rest of the year it's like every fish is different. Sorry I'm not mush help but that's what I've seen. One hits hard and one fiddles for ever before he will eat it.

3. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Does it get cold enough in central to south texas for flat heads not to bite? I would like to try to catch my first one but dont wont to wait until warm water if i dont have to.

4. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I agree with coolarrow. Can be either way

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    From my experience flatheads will do both but most will kill their bait first then come back to eat it. The larger flats that I have caught will grab the bait and take out about 6-8 yards of line then stop and I wait for the next solid steady run. Most of the misses that Ive had in the past was trying to set the hook on the 1st run.

They seem to bite best when water temp is 65 or above. I havent caught many when water temp was below 55 degrees.

6. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    use livebait- shad, sunfish, suckers, bullheads.. my favorite bait is sunfish, i have been caught many flathead on 4-5inch sunfish. well if I fishing blue and flathead then I would use shad. well flathead bite all year round here, but I don't have been fishing as while, but flathead spawning start 70 to 80 degree. well hope it help you.

7. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    Hey Andrew,

Do you ever catch them on theJames river? If so where are they found in february? Do they drop down the river to winter?
    I think it's cool you can catch them in the winter where you are. I am comin down to fish in Feb. Have good luck this year!
    thanks dave:smile2:

8. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    yea some flathead in upper james. yea you want catch big blue? then go start Richmond to Hampton road, there many sweet deep holes for big blue... theres some nice flathead in low james too.. well I don't have been fishing lately, I was too busy and go community school as while. well but I am planning to go on james in March. well and you should go on james in febr. and Good luck!:cool2:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There has been times when the flathead would attack the bait and run off like a train, there's times when i would check my rod or rebait and the fish would be on. You never now.

But here's my observations:

prespawn-aggressive bite
    postspawn-less agressive bite
    fall feast-passive bite

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    From all that I've read on here over the years some systems have flats that like cut bait and some prefer live-bait. There are guys on here that catch their largest on cut. My experience is I have caught only one flat in near 10 yrs on cut bait. But I only use it 15% of my trips so that might have something to do with it. If the water temp is 55 or better Flatheads will hit. 60 to 70 they will hit hard!! After that it depends on the individual fish some are slow runners some will slam it. Treat every hit like its a big one till you can feel him. Almost all the flats I catch over 30lb just move off slow as they please. They aren't worried bout nothing.

11. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Where I fish the flatheads will just tap the bait then about 5 seconds later the rod will bend over like a Brokeback cowboy.

12. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    as far as the water being to cold, if its above 45, ill catch fish. not as many, but fish no doubt. i just pulled a 28 lb flathead out of a creek last week, and it has been in the 30s and 40s for the past 2 weeks.

13. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most of the flat hits i've experienced are like Drum described... the rod lunges at the initial pick-up. Then, the rod starts to load-up (sometimes when fish are tentative I have seen them kind of sit for a time with the baits first).

Start up high, follow the fish down with the rod and hammer 'em.

I never let a fish move more than a foot or two with a bait. Bad things happen if you're close to cover and you let fish run.

Shawn

14. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    they bite pretty dang hard! i know cause i fish'em with my hands, lol.