Flathead Catfish Bite

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by bnewsom71, May 19, 2009.

1. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I am going to be headed out for a the weekend camping along the miss. just above Oquaka. Was wondering if anyone has been out fishing for flatheads and what they were hittin' on. I just want to speed up the trial and error phase of it a bit. I am really itchin' to hook into one by r & r. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Got a 12# flat yesterday about 5pm, on dew worms. Bad part was he bit like a bluegill and swallowed the hook before I was aware he was on. Got a 10# last week on a 5" bluegill and a 6# chanel on gill head. Beware of the gnats, they are really bad if you get in a sheltered place out of the wind. I wouldn't have caught those fish if I wouldn't have had a HEAD NET. I would not have stayed 10 minutes. I recomend you get one before you go out, no wind, the gnats are very bad.

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    We have been catching them on cut bait. Nothing on live. Cant figure it out. Oh well, anyway we have been catching them on cut herein.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Sounds like ya need to invest in a Therma Cell unit.......

5. barnold

barnold Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do therma cells work on nats?

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Just get ya some listerine mouth wash and put it on your skin. That will take care of them.:wink: Last year when they were bad, you couldn't hardly find listerine anywhere in the stores. Hope this helps ya!

7. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks for the info! What type of water are ya catchin' them in? Deep, shallow, fast, slow - etc...

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    DUDE! They are talking about FLAT HEAD, NOT BLUES! You couldn't catch a Flathead if it was in the bath tub :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

Therma cells work well on all critters.......IMO. Matter of fact last summer HarryOld (skunmaster) and I were in one Boat, and the Mighty HorseWhisperer (BKEELE) was in his on Coffeen Lake and we set the cell on in my boat and Brent was setting a few feet away and was getting all the critters.... I have used them for years and will never sto all I can tell ya, YES THEY WORK WELL......

9. robinoquawka

robinoquawka New Member

State:
    illinois
    I haven't heard of anyone catching anything real big around here lately. (I live in Oquawka) If you can find a place where you can find some good size bluegills you might try them. I should be out on Benton Island Saturday so maybe I'll see you there.

10. robinoquawka

robinoquawka New Member

State:
    illinois
    One more idea: I know the bullheads are thick right now. You could try them too. If you can find a drainage ditch with plenty of water in it, you should have no trouble finding bullheads. Good luck!

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Been catching them in log jams. preferably a log jam that is right above a deep hole. some log jams in 10 foot of water, some log jams in 30 foot of water. Randy you are right, I was not targeting flat heads just been stumbling upon them.:tounge_out:

12. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois

I can vouch for that. I bought one as a result of that night and haven't looked back.

13. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    If your going out this weekend, you better have a Thermo cell hanging off both ears. Those gnats are fierce. Last night I got a 15# flat just before dark in medium current by myself. Quite a thrill, and a good feeling releaseing him. There was just enough breeze around the boat to move the thermo vapers away. Again the headnet saved my night. and gave me a chance to get a nice fish.

14. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Horse whisper. I wonder how he got that name, HeHehe. I am just glad he is ok.

Thanks everyone for the information. I am sure it will help him find fish .

15. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    BRIAN, WHERE'S THE FISHING REPORT FROM LAST WEEKEND CAMP-FISHING TRIP.

16. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Unfortunately Ron there isn't much to report. They were droppin the pool level pretty fast so the catfishin' was pretty rough. Managed about a dozen channels, biggest was 8 lbs. Also caught 2 flats that were both about 5 lbs. Caught all the channels on cut shad and caught the flats on bullheads. There was a little good news though. Found out the channels are headin' into spawn! Oh yeah! Can't wait till the weekend!

17. wolf222

wolf222 New Member

State:
    IL
    You can use vanila extract and water it will keep them away, if you wear a hat you can spray asorbenJr on the bill of your hat and it will keep them away. Paul