Flathead Catfish bite picking up in Minnesota

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by nuthinlikeacat, May 31, 2006.

1. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
  2. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Nice job Ryan. I have not been out fishing lately (family stuff), but I hope to join you out there real soon. Thanks for the pics! Did you catch them all on bullhead?

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    yep, all on bullheads, and to my surprise, they were on the 5-6 inchers, not the 7 s I'm use to using.And guessing by how the current is out there, I'm guessing these fish were taken somewhere in the vicinity of 6 ft of water. the current brings my bait near shore, so after all is said and done, no matter how far I try and throw it into the current, it still ends up about 15-20 ft from shore.

4. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Interesting, I have had the same thing happen to me with the current and my bait.

Where have you caught your bullhead this spring? I am heading down between New Ulm and St. Peter next weekend and I want to try using some bullhead (I have always used big suckers and chubs).

I have heard from many people that the Flats are biting in the shallows, so your success there is consistent with other folks. The rivers seem to be dropping well lately, that's a good thing.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Finding the deeper water behind rocks has been what has been working for us down here around kato. Bigger bait fish like those areas which draws in the bigger fish to feed. This time of year with the river up having pryor knowledge of whats underneath helps alot in finding the productive areas......the edges of deeper water next to big snags seems to be working too. A friend of mine landed a 48lber tonight. The river is still dropping at a constant rate and every night spots can fish different but the fish are still on the move and chowin!:lol: