flathead catfish behavior

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Mar 22, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    its cold it gets dark early hard to get bait , had no runs, i fish a hot ditch whats wrong i get runs all summer fall long but in the hot ditch nothing hits, how does the habits differ in a hot ditch in winter. are they in deep or shallow water , just need to get some tips , theres plenty of bait around night time temp is 30s days 50s 60s water temp between 20, 40, depending on the power plant,

2. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    i think in winter and in cold water flatheads kind of hole up, they will still eat just not as active as they are during the warmer months

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well this should not be the case if im fishing in a hot ditch from a powerplant , i just cant locate them, maby the water was not being pumped out , it felt about 40 degres , im talking about were to cast your line, in the middle or around the bank as you would in the warmer months, also iv never got the talent of cathing holdig daytime flats at dames and spilways they dont run, so how do you snatch em up wen there holding in a tailrace

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Thats one question I cant answer, you might have to just try every method possible to you find what works it will be time consuming but if you find the answer it will pay off year after year. Good luck to ya.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have no boat, how can i abush and find holding daytime floatheads i seen it done on dams, but the had boats and were jigging with little gills, i tried it and got one, but these guys got 20 any tips

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Have you tried using a bobber??

Maybe they are holding higher in the water column during the day where the bait fish are. Just a thought.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I also walk/bump my bait when fishing dams/outlets this has worked good for me so far.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    also i fish two dams, one is the old overflol type that full of rebar below it there big flats under it but u get hung up and the water is gushing like crazy most of the time, so my poll is always bending down so u cant tell if its a flathead bite or the current any tips on that problem , and i know they wont run with it unless there hooked, just need a little imput from dam fisherman like me

9. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    When water temp. get in the mid. 50s Flathead will get more active.

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That was going to be my question. I use a home made cat bobber below dams and do well with them. It's like drift fishing without the boat.set your bobber with the bait just above the bottom and cast upstream and let it drift down as it is drifting keep your pole in hand keeping most of the slack out of the line.if the bobber stops floating down stream set the hook. It turns into a bit of work but it's productive for me. It seams as the bait is carried down stream by the current as it passes by cats dart out of their resting place and grab your bait. Hope this helps.

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Fishin is gonna continue to be slow until the water temp rises. Their metabolisms are slow still and they just don't need to feed as much.

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    sounds like it's still a little to cold for flatties. really all you can do is keep fishing and wait till the water reaches mid to high 70's. You'll hang one eventually!!

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know its early for normal rivers but im in a cooling lake hot ditch, any imput on that situation, see this messes with there matabilisum the water is around 60, now but it changes day by day