Flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by live22skate, Jul 17, 2006.

1. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i just started flathead fishing about two weeks ago, ive been out twice and been skunked both times. what bait works best for flatheads?

2. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    could they have been spawning?

but i use whole live gills for bait.....
    somepeople use bullheads but i cant get them anywhere around here so i cant use them
    somepeople use pearch and shad i heard works real well...

but i just get a whole gill and put a big hook in its back above the tail and behind that fin on a gills back

hope this helps

any questions just PM or ask

Jeff

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Rock bass or big gills did the trick for me last year. Can't tell you about this year so far it's been a bad one!

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Live bait is preferred, but fresh cutbait works good too. I have caught flats on worms for that matter, crawfish work good for the smaller flats up to 10 lbs maybe a little more.

Aaron

TA2D

5. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    thanks for the help guys, ill probably try my luck again tomorrow, and ill use some live blue gills. :smile2:

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    FYI they have been called "the fish of ten thousand hours" for a reason.

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well man, it all depends where and how ur fishing and the times... try to use what is naturally around them..try one pole with it live, and then one that has cut bait on it... tell me some of the bait that are around u and ill help ya out when i know what there is to choose from... try to get the bait good and bloody if live dont work...

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In the last few years I have caught 90 percent of my flatheads on cut shad, fresh is best...

9. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    up around your way jack, where do u get ur shad? and when we gonna hit the river man? spawning is about done, and they will be hammering

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I catch most of my shad in lakes and spillways..The spawn is over for the most part but the scioto is to high to fish right now, maybe in a week or so.

11. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    ok, yeah went to the river today for some fishing WAY TOO HIGH... flowing real strong, yeah hopefully in 2 weeks i will have me new truck, license and insurance and can drive up by myself and we can go fishing and get us a few PB in the 40's and 50's

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a spot just in mind!

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Ok its a done deal, when it gets closer in time, and weather permits, ill give ya a call or you can give me a call and set up every thing.

14. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i use whole bream that works ok

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    My brother and I caught five flatheads today between 8 and 25 pounds. All came on live shad hooked in the lips. both our PBs Came on live shad also. Vern

16. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Wow! Great day! congrats!

17. karloskws

karloskws New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Has anyone ever caught any flats on chicken livers or soap, just wondering . I have been fishing for a few years using this but now , since I was told of a good location for flatheads, I was thinking of trying it in the Lumber River NC

Cheers,

Karl