flathead catfish bait

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by chasethecat, Feb 26, 2009.

1. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    this year i'm looking to expand my bait options. got the gils and bullheads down but looking to get into suckers, creek chubs, and small carp. i've heard that chubs can be taking from bridges over creeks with waxworms or maggots, but never done it myself. also looking to catch small carp (thinking about making my own downsized boilies but wondering about location) and have only caught suckers by accident (a couple out on lake erie and snagged one once in the river white bass fishing) last year i was able to keep bait alive in an aquarium so that i could get my bait a day or two before going for flatheads and save time (this worked great with gils and bullheads). i also got a D battery aerator and noticed my bait stayed more lively late into the night. this year i'm thinking about putting a livestock water tank or 55 gal. drum in my basement so i can store more bait more effectively (and larger baits), anyone done this? if so how lively does the bait stay? m.

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    There is alot of guys on here that have large bait tanks in there garages or basements and seem to work very well for them! I myself am in the process of building one for my house so I can have bait on hand for them last minute trips! Also guys have alot of luck with flats on small and largemouth bass. I feel the bigger the better!:wink:

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    it works for a friend of mine like a charm. you just have to get a good pump and filtration system

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I know all about doing the live bait thing, and livewell tanks and how much time it takes. If you get a chance try this if you got a spot you can catch skipjack catch some and put them on ice they dont have to be live but they need to be fresh. You will catch flats in the Ohio River you just need patience, in my opinion they take the cut skipjack just as quick as live bait. Ive fished them both and they will hit the live bait or the skipjack about the same but with skipjack its less of a hassle for me.

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bait options-Bullhead,sucker,creek chubs,Shiners,Channel cats,small carp,drum,gills,green sunfish,SMB,LMB,white bass,goldfish.warmouth,rockbass,crappie,shad,skips.....etc..........

some work better than others but they'll all work

6. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like using warmouths,chubs,and sunfishand also caught some nice channels on 1 to 2 inch warmouths. thry are very lively and take a beaten like a gold fish, like to use them also.

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    In my op. flattys will eat pretty much any thing alive thats swiming when there hungery!!!

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Get ya a pair of chest waders and walk the streams. Fishing off of bridges are fine, but most people like to fish this way, and by mid-summer most accessible places like this get fished out from my experience. Tie a rope off a small bait bucket, get some waxworms, one pole with a couple split shots and a small hook and wade the shallow creeks. Most outside bends have alittle deeper scour hole, that often these chubs and suckers load up in. You also have a better chance at other baits that may reside in there such as smallmouth bass, green sunfish, warmouth, rockbass etc. I get most of my flathead baits this way, and it is alot of fun. You may wanna check with local surrounding landowners first, but most of them are kind and will let you walk the banks, and water...The places I get small carp are flooded irrigation ponds from the river, or flooded drainage ditches. Early in the year when we get highwater. These flooded areas often warm quickly during the spring, and the carp will travel into them, once the high water subsides alot of these carp are stuck in these ponds etc. Some are large carp, but alot of smaller carp seem to travel into these ponds also. I use a slip-float rig on a bass pole, and fish along the banks with a small aberdeen hook, and one or two kernels of sweet corn. Pretty basic fishing, finding these areas might take some looking. Below spillways on local lakes can also be productive for these bait sized carp also.

Here is a couple pictures of my bait tank setup. It's a 100 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank. A five-gal bucket with holes drilled in it. The bucket is 1/2 full with pea gravel, and then I have a couple layers of nylon screen on top of that. A pond pump from Lowe's to circulate the water to the filter bucket. I keep this in my garage which stays in the low to mid 60's year round. I keep around 30 gal of water in it, and add a handfull of white salt to the water to condition it, and to help the baits with their slime coat as well. I also add Better Bait (blue stuff) to the water. I keep baits 12 months out of the year, with little to no problems. I change 10 to 15 gal. of water once every two weeks during the winter, and when Im keeping more baits during the summer, 10 gal to 15 gal. a couple times a week. Pretty simple setup for the money. As you can see there is another bucket in there with holes drilled in it. I have a lid for that as well. I keep minnows in there, this keeps them seperated from the larger baits making it easier to net and get out when needed.....rollo

Attached Files:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Baitkeeping can be very frustrating. Certain species can be kept for a few days and certain will die.

The easiest to keep are bluegills, bullheads, and carp.

Chubbs, suckers and fallfish need tender loving care. You need to keep the water very cold because they are running cold water fish.

Bass do not do well in captivity. They stress out easy and must be used the same day.

10. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    Bluegill sunfish creek chub goldfish and suckers work also three nightcrawlers on a treble hook as well

11. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    im very lucky that all my bait holes are within 10 minutes of my work so when i plan a trip, ill usually head out of work 15 minutes early to stop by one of my bait holes, that way my bait is fresh and lively for the night, i have two mrbubbles on my bait bucket that i run at all times, i try not to use water from the faucet or spicket and if i do need to use some ice to cool the water down in the dog days of summer ill usually put some in one freezer bag then put that in a freezer bag so that the chemicals they use to treat the water wont affect my bait.

also ive heard that salt will help with keeping bait alive longer, any truth to this, just something ive heard

12. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    Believe it or not, I've had GREAT success w/ FRESH SHRIMP & FROZEN/THAWED SHRIMP for big 'Ol flatheads. The especially hit the shrimp during fllod stage waters.

13. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    "also ive heard that salt will help with keeping bait alive longer, any truth to this, just something ive heard"

yeah, if you go to wally world or a tropical fish store they will have aquarium salt. it has the recommended amount to salt your aquarium water and helps fish maintain their slime coat and "adds essential electrolytes". also, you can get AquaSafe to treat tap water before putting your bait in it. I've used both these products for my aquarium fish for years. I also use the AquaSafe for my bait bucket before a flathead trip. I take my garden hose, dump a little AquaSafe into a 5 gal bucket and fill the bucket with the hose on full blast. From all the bubbles this creates I figure it has to help oxygenate the water. havent had any baits die from the treated tap water, but i've only done this with gils, bullheads, and small crappie. m.

14. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Where I fish, there is a strong undercurrent that makes cut bait flutter, so I normally catch flatheads on cut white bass or cut sheaphead. If we catch sheaphead around 8 inches, we use it alive though.

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    you fish the low dam in hamilton rick

16. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Rick he lives next to me he goes threre too,he fishes by joyce park alot too...RAT

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    did not know that great miami south of dayton get big quick

18. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio

what do you mean....RAT

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    asking if you all spend most your fishing moments at the low dam if the fishing good enough for me to drive 38 mile to fish your way rick i know the river south of franklin thats all rick

20. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    You catch alot of 15 20 lb flats and 5-15 lb channels there, its a really good place to go for me,but i have alot of luck at the mehldaul dam on the ohio.....RAT