flathead catfish bait for fall

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by loganfrum94, Sep 13, 2009.

1. loganfrum94

loganfrum94 New Member

State:
    ohio
    wats the best flattie bait this time of year.
    wat about blue and channel baits.
    thanks, logan

2. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I all ways heard live eel but they are hard to come by, so i go for easy bait. For flat heads i use live bream or live shinners. Blues i use fresh cut shad. Try useing them all on different rods, to see witch one works the best for you.

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    for flatties try softer live baits, like Big chubs... or heads off your standard BG, SJ, or whatever. Flatties will swallow a big chub down to their tail this time of year.

4. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    for live bait I like usuing big chubs like previously posted but fresh shad is pretty much the ticket. Gills are getting hit at all and I sometimes get some hit's on small green sunfish, by small I mean biggest is 3 inches.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Large green sunfish 6 to 8 inches, 6 to 10 inch live carp and suckers and chubs 8 to 12 inches but then again I fish theses baits almost year round. Also live shad 4 to 8 iches seem to produce good in the fall for blues and flatts. For blues all the above will work but fresh cut rough fish carp, suckers, buff, ect seem to realy excell in the cooling water for blues. Dont overlook large crayfish this time of year crack the head and toss out all 3 cats will gobble em.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    last night i had a few good fish on huge gills, like 10 inch gills that i could barely get in my hand. last week all we could get any decent bites on were small gills. missed a few good runs on bullheads, and chubs wernt touched either week. chubs produced the most fish for me in the spring but the largest was only like 12#. so i guess it depends on weather and other factors, last week the moon was alot brighter, this week was darker and after some fresh rain the river was about a foot higher and muddy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we fish lakes in ohio so my input might not be to helpful. BUT we have been having decent luck on like 14inch suckers....Generally redhorse but other suckers have been producing as well. Smaller bullheads have given us some decent luck recently too...

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Here in Okla. I want bullheads about 6"-10" or black perch 4"-6" (green sunfish) In the winter all I will use is bullheads for flatheads.

9. Arkatoothis

Arkatoothis New Member

State:
    WV
    When it gets cooler the flatties and blues start piling on the fat for winter, this means the most bang for the buck. Big live baits. A large flattie wont turn its nose up at a big bait no matter what it is, gill, chub, sucker, carp, crappie, bass, drum whatever tethered to the bottom by a sinker. Its too easy of a meal. If you arent catching them on big baits now you are simply in the wrong spot. So keep that in mind when you are banging away for hours in the same area, being mobile is the key to early fall fishing, and once the cold is firmly here they are concentrated on deep holes adjacent to feeding areas and will remain there til early spring when the water begins to heat up again.:big_smile: