Flathead catfish bait - Cut Or Uncut?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by GETHOOKED, Nov 24, 2006.

1. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    What is the opinion of you fellow BOC, as far as cutting your live bait, or leaving your live bait alone? Some cut fins, descale, or puncture thier live bait to help attract. What percent like to do this, incomparison to those that like to just leave the live bait alone?

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If the bait is good and active I will leave it alone. Once they are not as active they will become cut bait.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i put half my lines out each way i have 6 rigs , when i do cut its usually butterflied

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I am speaking more about live blugill for flatheads. I still want to keep them alive, but is it better to "alter" them anyway before setting them out, like taking some scales off, or cutting the tail or fins off. Or is it better to just keep live bait lively and set them out as they are?

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    The only live ones that I've had taken around here had just one side barely sclaled. Maybe it adds some scent to the water? I've tried fin clipping, but I don't have a problem with the gills hiding in the waters I fish.

6. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I've never cut them, but like you I'm interested in seeing everybody's response.

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    If you have good bait I don`t think you have to cut them:big_smile:

8. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    i would always trim the tail on my bait,but i found out with the aqu view that with the tails cut,my bait would just lay on the bottom,and not do much at all,but not cut they would suspend more off the bottom,and seem to be more lively,and thats what i want, lively bait,....good luck to ya,

jerry

9. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    so if you were to scale one side what is the best way?

10. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I dont think you need to do anything to it. Just put the hook through it.

11. FlattHunter

FlattHunter New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I think live is always better

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I sometimes may a small cut from top to bottom back close to the tail. Not too deep as to cut the backbone.

13. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I just hook mine. I like them to stay alive as long as possible and be as active as possible too. I have cut them but they seem to be less active. If you are movin around alot and rebaiting I would try and cut them a little.

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I gotta agree with everyone else, just put a hook in them and pitch them in the water.If they do die then I like to cut them in half and fish for blues.

15. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i have to agree hook em and cast out

16. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    The only time I cut a bait is when it's dead! Then I make a real a real mess of it to release as much juice as possible and fish it slightly upstream of a nice big snag... (I make sure I break the backbone as it seems to release something that brings 'em in.)

Works for me but others I'm sure do it differently! :)

17. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I always cut the tail off and cut into the meat about an eighth inch. It may make them a little more inactive but people have to remember that catfish have millions of scent receptors also, and when you cut into them they bleed into the water and they still kick around. Ever since I started cutting tails my bites have doubled. Another good thing about doing it is that they cant swim around very well and it makes it harder for them to snag you up in the structure. Give it a try if your skeptical you wont be disappointed, besides you'll be fishing and having fun anyways.

18. bobcat

bobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    I leave them alive only cut when dead. Only thing I cut up is shad.

19. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    On any given day the fish will prefer one way over the other. You will have to try it both ways. One of my favorite ways is to just fish the fish Heads. Shad or Skipjack. It seems to work well.

20. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    How are you hooking your bait? In the back, ahead of the dorsil?, behind the dosil?, thru the lip/nose?, or how? Does it make a difference dead, cut or alive?