Flathead Catfish bait--add a little sweetner?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by BenNewt, Oct 3, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    It seems like the conventional way to rig a baitfish for flatheads is to hook it through the lips or dorsal fin and let 'er swim. I did some experimenting this season with different bait presentations and some seemed to get more action that the conventional way. Here's one: I used the same old live bullhead rigging with a hook behind the dorsal fin, but then I added a very small fresh shad head on the end of the hook. I figured that the extra scent would attract more fish and I ended up catching one of the biggest channels of the season on this rig. I got some flathead action on it too. Anyone have any "unconventional" ideas?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i sometimes spray a little yum shad sent to my baits if things are slow.

3. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    This isn't THAT unconvential or anything. But at times I'll cut the tail on my bait fish so that they have a wounded swimming style, and the scent of the fresh blood in the water will attract them.
    I learned that method from a fellow member on this board :cool2:

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Another thing to try is cutting off the bottom fins on a sucker. Suckers use these fins to rest on the bottom, and if you cut them off the fish will roll over when it tries to settle on the bottom. Poor little bugger can't even rest, and I think the flatties like it :wink:

5. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I'll try that if i ever get my hands on some suckers. I never come acrossed any down here.
    Wouldn't that do the same thing to a chub?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah I would think so. When I fish with bullheads, I cut off their horns and sometimes whiskers. That really seems to get them active.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    about the only thing i do different than most is hookum above the anal fin. keeps them swimming up and out in slack current.

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Me and a fellow BOCer were talking about this last night, i like to take bullheads or suckers that i am using for bait and put them under a float. rig the float so that the bait is just off the bottom. then cut the side fins and top fins off so that it will bleed slowly. seems to put off a good sent and the bait will stay active trying to get to the bottom, so it draws attention to itself...

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    sometimes i'll scuff up the scales on the sides of my sunnies, that seems to release oils and slime coat, last year i tried a couple different scent sprays on my baits but that really didn't make any difference

10. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i dont know if its unconventional, but when im useing shad and have a ton of live shad i like to hook them in the back but hook them lower so i hit that artery and they bleed like a mofo. they dont stay alive nearly as long but when i do this it tends to trigger a much faster bite....thats why i do it when i have a ton of the lil swimmers in the bait tank

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I know some guys on the Susquehanna that catch big flatheads on what they call "The Double". Instead of using 1 live bluegill for bait, they hook on 2 live smaller bluegills.:eek:oooh::crazy:

I have myself witnessed how more bites the Double got compared to the single bait presentation.:embarassed:

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've been chopping up fresh liver and broadcasting it as chum .

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    since shad die so fast anyways..sometimes ill take an rip a 3-4 inch shad in two and slap both halves on the hook and step onit..not unconventional i dotn guess but people look at ya funny if they dont know whats up