Flathead catfish at Saguaro.

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Brett Connery, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Brett Connery

Brett Connery New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So usin my new found skiils I read about on da boc, i went out to saguaro lake.
    we got there about 3 pm an startin fishin. cought about 5 bluegills. hooked up some small bluegills an tossed them right off. my homeboy got a bigg bite an had to chase his pole for a while but when he got it back he had fish on it! he realed it in an a flathead about 8-10 pounds on there. too bad it had plans an got off tight on the bank in the water he tried to get it but it was ot of there.:smile2:
    My freinds girl fell in an then we all got bites one after another but i missed hookin im too slow or somethin.

2. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Awesome! It is a matter of time. Your time will come! Saguaro is not really a Flathead Lake, but they are in there. I do know there are some monster Channels in there, and I am sure there are some monster flatties too! A lot of times, those misses, are just smaller fish like one pound channels screwing with your bait, or your Bluegills, have these wonderful little spurts of energy, and peel a little line, or ring your bell just enough to make your heart pound for two seconds LOL. I am pretty certain that I will die one day fishing for flatheads, your heart just cant take all those false alarms, and hook-ups! My heart will just stop, and my luck, it will be a 2.5 pound channel.

3. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    I have caught some nice channel cats that I miss setting the hook at first I always let my line set there awhile after a miss. If they didn't get your bait sometimes they come back try again.As long as I'm getting hits I don't reel my line in. The flats that I have caught, hit fast and hard they didn't play around at all.:big_smile:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thats awesome,gettin out there already!!:big_smile:

5. gotabig1

gotabig1 New Member

State:
    arizona
    every flat that i have caught has just pounded it flats dont play around thay just take it thay are like bass thay are very agressive when thay feed so if thay are just little bites it is like rob said ether u gill or a channel most likely. ooooooooyeah and if u guys are fishing from bank dont use those little dinky pole holders that u get at walmart if u know someone with a welder have them make u some that go in the ground atleast 2 foot. i made my own years ago out of angle iron and steal pipe and ur not going to pull them out of the ground

6. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    fvcking channel cats...:angry:

7. manofewords

manofewords New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Brett,

A flat head usually grabs the bait by the middle of the fish and swims off with it. He is squeezing it to kill it so it doesn't get away. If you try to set the hook during this time it is hard to get a good hook set. Normally they will grab it and run, I let the reel free spool then I wait until they stop. When he starts going again I set the hook. Usually by this time he has killed the bait, spit it out, turned it around and swallowed it headfirst. They do that so the dorsal fin folds down and he can swallow it easy. The hook sets in the stomach very easy and they seem to come in easier too. The only problem with this method is you get hung up more often on rocks and submerged trees.:wink:

8. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    eazy...

9. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    :smile2:

10. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    OBVIOUSLY you need a spelling lesson too?!?!!

11. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    looks like it :wink:

12. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Popcorn,get youre popcorn!!:big_smile:

13. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member