Flathead catfish at Hoover Reservoir

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by slowboat, Jun 27, 2007.

1. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am trying to catch a flathead at hoover. are their any there I haven't heard of any. if there are any, I can use some advise.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would say stick with the live baits i.e. shad/gills/carp. I dont think there are a lot of Flats there in Hoover tho at least not abundent enough to catch them alot. Good luck tho I would also put at least one pole with cut gill or shad just to cover your bases.

3. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How deep is to deep to fish. Is 50 or 60 feet two deep.

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

rite now the flatties are spawning,they will be in water 5 feet and less mostly tite to cover.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    As the water heats up and stratifies the deepest sections will not hold much oxygen. You will notice that your live bait will die. Start moving to shallower water till the baits stay alive, then don't fish deeper than that. You have now eliminated lots of unproductive water which should make it a tad easier to locate fish.

6. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there any reason you are trying Hoover? If possible I would move to Buckeye Lake. Just a thought

7. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am fishing hoover because I live nearby and I meet a lot of real nice people there but I haven't heard of flats being cought there so I thought I might try.
    I am new at this and not catching much of anything anyway but I try to go out every day.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Dont feel bad bro I aint catch much either I cant even get the bull cats to bite :confused2::big_smile:. I dont know about Buckeye as I really cant stand that place either but the Scioto isnt far from you if your close to Hoover.

9. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    About 5 years ago when I started to fish for flatheads I fished Hoover and Alum Creek with no luck. I started in April and by the end of June I had not caught a flathead. After reading and watching a lot of tapes I went to the Scioto and I caught my first flathead in July.
    A couple of old timers told me I was wasting my time at these two lakes. Its not that there are no flatheads there, just a lot of area and hard to fish when you are first starting.
    They told me to go where the fish were and that was the Scioto. There are places to bank fish and places to use a boat.
    You need some type of cooler set-up to hold bait and get on the river.

[​IMG]

I only suggested Buckeye Lake because I have seen write ups in magiznes about the lake. I have never fished it just heard there are a lot of flatheads in there. You want to increase you odds as much as possible. Go where the fish are.

10. Ms. Whiskers

Ms. Whiskers New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :0a26:My friend is in Bass tournaments at Hoover & he told me to go to the duck pond for flatheads. Kids throw bread in all the time to feed the ducks, & the flatheads have gotten pretty fat. He said it's not unusual to pull in a 20lb. & bigger! I wanted to go today, but with rain coming, I'm going tomorrow instead. I've never been to Hoover, so I'm not sure where the duck pond is. He told me I can't miss it, & to ask around if I have any problems finding it. You probably know exactly where I'm talking about since you go there a lot. He also said there's good shore fishing off Red Bank Rd. You can't go wrong using live baits for flats. I usually use nightcrawlers & get pretty lucky. The main thing is to get a spot where you know they're at. You can use all the suggested bait & have the best of tackle, but if they aren't there, you won't have any luck. I'm going to try out these spots tomorrow. I hope they work. Good luck!

11. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Ms Whiskers if you go to thread Ohio state agencies.the sticky that whistler put on the Ohio form you can pull up lake maps.This may help when you get to the lake. Let use know how you do ,Good Luck bring home a BIG ONE.

12. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    hoover isn't good at all for flatties...that is my home turf, but the channels are awesome there....and despite what most say...so are the blues. good luck man...go get some shad, fish the bottom there around 20ft and have fun!!!! ps...stick around that channel running through hoover. it is really easy to find with the maps mentioned in the post above

13. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I only fished Hoover a handful of times back in the early days of my catfishing adventures and I never caught one from there lol. Yes they are in there but you'll have to put in alot of time to figure them out. Channels are easy in the spring, they are in the backwaters where the creek comes in. Shrimp and cut shad work. If you spend all summer near the dam with live bait, you may catch a flathead eventually. Rivers are alot easier to locate flatheads in so if you want to catch them you need to start going there. Just put an emphasis on live bait. You have to catch them then get them to the water alive and in good condition. Aerators,a five gallon bucket, and a big Plano bait bucket will do nicely.

14. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm not gonna say there is or is not any in there but, used to fish there a lot as a kid and can't remember ever hearing of any being caught. Good luck and keep us posted as to if you nail one large or small.

15. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    we just fished hoover on tuesday night/wednesday morning. went out with truckin 4x4 (rob) and we caught about 10 or 11 cats. lost one at the boat with poles being tangled but made up for it. Rob had the big fish a nice one in the 6-9 pound range......we fished shad and shrimp in 20 feet of water. I can't seem to find my old honey hole because i am not smart enough to buy gps yet...but we got close. no flats as I said before...if you get lucky enough to land a flat at hoover take a picture so people believe you....

ben

16. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You need to fish the creek - Big Walnut that is. Do a little bit of searching south of the lake and I am confident you will find flathead up to at least 25lbs. I caught several faltheads from 6-25lbs (lots of channels too) during the late 90's thru 2001 when I lived in Columbus. Never had any "world beater" nights, but we caught as many as 3 over 10 lbs on 1 occasion and caught 2 several times. All the flatheads came from the creek - look for log/wood jams around RR pilings or mudflats with cover adjacent to deeper holes.

Oh, they used to like creek chubs and softcrawls better than gills/shad for us, even though gills are present. We went to fishing all creek chubs because the crawls hide on the bottom. We aslo caught drum, bass (both sm & lm), carp, & saugeye in there. Do not overlook this creek - most of these fish came from an area you could cast across with a 1 ounce sinker.

17. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    is this the same walnut creek that divides whitehall from reynoldsburg ? i grew up in whitehall , although i wasn't big into cats back then i would have never thought there were flatheads in there.