flathead catfish around bridges

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kathunter_64, Jul 11, 2009.

1. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    the place i fish most often has a decently large bridge in one area. would it be a good idea to try to fish for flatheads around the bridge? i know they like structure but i wasn't sure if a bridge is somethin they would look for. i figured the best approach would be to cast on the downstream side of a pillar because i think they would wait there for bait fish to come down stream. correct me if im wrong

i've been really fishin for them hard for about two weeks now. and i finally hooked into a good one about a week ago. sad thing is it shot under the boat and spit the hook. so from now on im gonna set the hook in em about 10 times haha

thanks guys

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    around the bridge pillars is a great spot cause alot of times logs and limbs get hung up there and provide cover:wink:

3. dustcat

dustcat Member

State:
    pa
    we do well all around the pillings the most active fish for us seem to come from the upper side, maybe because of the logs and other debris that gather there. it may be worth while snoopin around 20 to 30 yards off each side of the pilling we found that sometimes old rebar is left from a bridge that was there previously, it too will collect alot of debrie. make sure u use heavy line or a big old flatty will snag u up in a hurry.

good luck

4. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    im gonna go down there tomorrow and fish that bridge all night, im gettin pretty confident that there will be at least one good fish there. im thinkin i'll throw out about a 5 inch warmouth on the upper side of a pillar

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I got a lot of good bridge pillar spots.They usually do some blasting before they put pillars in,it,s usually always deeper around the pillars,there,s usually some rock or wood around the bottom of em,what more could you ask for!I do good at both the upstream and downstrean ends of pillars,I,d try both.:wink:

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i agree , ussualy deeper! probably a good spot during low water also!!

7. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    A bridge thats has deep water around it is a great spot for them in the day time.

8. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    what about at night?

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good evening and night spot.They might roam a little more after dark ,but they,ll still be in the area!

10. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i fish a river spot that has a bridge and it is shallow right up to it then on the other side and where the current is it drops off ridiculously and we've caught alot there of all sizes and thats where the big gar in my pics came from

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    reay good areas

12. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    heck yes!! like a few others have said those pillars in the water are going to be key for 2 reasons, 1. because that's going to be the deeper water due to the erosion around it and 2. it serves as a current break for them to sit out of the current.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ifact im thinking of hitting one on friday in a lake, i think its good strucer also, they pass throgh a small area so they compaced wen they rome