Flathead catfish are biting!

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Pylodictis Olivaris, May 29, 2007.

1. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I finally broke the ice this weekend and caught my first flatheads of the year. All together I got six. Friday night I got a 5,6,8 and a 12 pounder. Then I went back Saturday with my fishing buddy and got a 3 and a 15. But we both missed a lot of runs and premature hook sets. Friday night I fished from about 10:30 PM to 11:45 PM and then Saturday I started at about 7 and caught one at 8 and one at about 9. It may sound good but I didn't do as well as all of the people around me! I saw more stinking flathead taken in 2 hours of daylight than I could every imagine. People were catching them left and right. There were a lot of 20 and 30 pounders caught during the day and the buzz around the river all afternoon was that an 80 pounder was taken earlier that day. I personally didn't see it but when multiple people are talking about it obviously something impressive must of been caught.

I did help a guy land a 20 to 25 pounder...he was using light takle with a mister twister and had some trouble getting it up through the rocks close enough to grab it, so I helped out....and sure enough he caught a big ol flathead on a light rod with 6 pound test. I got wet but what a good time...I got more of a rush doing that than I did reeling in the fish I caught! I released all of my fish...unfortunately nobody other than that guy did! People were snagging carp and catching flatheads and keeping everything they caught! I couldn't believe it! It was a shame to see...all of these people cleaning carp and flatheads and not thinking anything of it. To me it is like mixing a piece of rotten lunch meat with a nice piece of prime rib, doesn't make sense. Well that was my weekend I was glad to get the monkey off of my back. Got pictures on my cell phone. hopefully I can get them onto the computer and get them posted.......oh yeah, it is no big secret. But I was at the spillway of Red Rock....they are on fire! I would get there while the getting is good!

2. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wow sounds like you guys were on fire!!! What were you using for bait?!?!?!

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Todd, I understand your repulsion. In some ways Iowans really are the toothless, barefoot, overall wearing folks that people envision us as. I don't think many get released around here, maybe one in ten or fifteen. I really don't understand how Iowa can't protect a true trophy in the least. Have you been boating on the raccoon? It seems like the water keeps going up and up. The Desmoines by my house is so backed up there is a lake where the river should be.

4. katfishbangin

katfishbangin New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does'nt that burn you up when you have been casting and blasting and have caught nothing. Out of the blue some guy rides up or pulls up and snatches a big fat body out. Burns me up to no end. but thats how the game goes. Sounds like you had alot of fun.

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was using live bullheads and sunfish. Seems like they both worked well but the bullheads were by far more active and lively.

I have only been on the raccoon once between floods over a month ago. Other than that is has been too high. Hoping the water will become stable soon so I can get back out there....fishing spillways is okay but I would rather be on the boat going down the river. I will probably have to hit Red Rock again this weekend due to all of the rain and high water in the rivers.

6. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    In defense of the toothless, barefoot people you will find that 90% of the people at the Red Rock spillway are from Minnesota:eek:oooh:, Laotians I believe. They come here in large groups and completely take up all the shore access and keep everything they catch, and I mean everything:crazy: (saw them catch a snake and put it in a cooler). Fishing to them is like a job and they don't seem to enjoy it much. I like it better when they all go home and theres some room to fish!!!! Iowa might have to put a limit on the White Bass once they get done taking them all.
    I prefer not to keep the large catfish either, but I'll slaughter the bluegills and crappie !!

7. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    Thats really a shame^ Its the same around the denison area here with the hispanics and mexicans. Illegal bass......:angry: ( We have quite a number becasue of the plants)

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    They're biting in the Des Moines area too! Got one myself. It was a 10 pound 6 ounce little beast but I missed one that probably could have ate him. I'll post the pics when I get the cam developed!

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Most of My Mothers side of the family lives in Pella. I remember several years back They were having high water and letting a lot of water out of the dam. The Laotians would keep giving you hooks to snag carp if you gave them the fish. sounds like there are even more now.

10. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Is it legal to set trot or limb lines on Red Rock or in Iowa at all?

11. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
  12. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Man thats just wrong for them to eat carp and drum id much rather have them throw them on the shore to rot so i can smell them the whole time i fish.....

13. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    ha, I took a picture and sent it to a friend and his responce was "that's a big snake in the picture." I had to go back and look. It was a segment of a dead carp shown between two rocks. eeeww.

14. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i aint much into flats myself, but last night i ran jugs with a buddy on the miss. in 3 hours, we went through 7 lil bluegills... out of the 7 gills total, we only had 2 of them left on the hooks. only hooked up one fish was about 14# i would guess. and released it (to be later caught in a commercial net) was pretty cool. that is a fair amount of work though to do all of that. but will do it again.

15. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    you guys think you have it bad in iowa, i am originaly from grand junction iowa. we would go to spring lake all the time and usually get ran out by the mexicans.

well i have that beat now since i live in southern california. they have lakes out here that you pay an entry fee to and you dont need a fishing liscence. who does that benifit? of course the illegals. the lake goes from fishing to la cucaracha and soccer balls flying everywhere. what a shame i can wait till cali actually does fall off the continent and forms its own island.

BAN ILLEGAL ALIENS NOT GUNS

16. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    The population of our town is over 50% mexican....Some are cool but some......

17. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I still don't see how they'll run you out of your fishing hole... I'm sure they think SOME of the whites are cool too, but OTHERS...

This topic was supposed to be about flathead bite in Iowa.
    Lets keep away from racial discussions please.

18. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I agree with Marcus, Flatheads are more important to me then the color of your skin.

P.S. No one will run me out of my fishing whole no matter what the color of their skin is. First come first serve, that is why it is called PUBLIC PROPERTY! For everyone...

Back on topic. I got a real nice flathead the other night somewhere between 35-40lb range I will post pics in a new thread as I don't like where this one has gone

19. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Get that pic up soon! If I can't catch a big flathead I want to at least see one!

Congrats on the flathead!

What did you use for bait?

20. lilrivercatman

State:
    Iowa
    I'm not racist, but in america follow the rules!!! 15in bass or bigger u keep, 14inches or smaller throw back. Its the people that Keep everything no mattter what size and dont follow the rules that gets me going, and the loud polka music.