Flathead catfish are biting in the neosho

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    This last monday morning from 4:00 - sunrise me and my dad were out checking trotlines but I wanted to let them set until sunrise. We were all ready down there so we pushed the boat out and went to one of my favorite creek inlets. The action was awsome. we caught 7 flathead all of them over 8 pounds. The biggest was around 13-14 pounds. I'm not sure what the water temp is but we were using 6 inch goldfish. It was realy fun. I am not at home now but when I get home I will have some pictures.

2. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    That is good to hear!! Nice start to the year Catmaster. Were the flathead caught on the troutline or rod & reel.

Last around this time of year I set 8 limblines and caught fish around the same size. The smaller ones must be getting active.

3. ks_catman

ks_catman New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I am in the Wichita area but have not fished the Neosho.. I have hunted ducks off of it thats about it. I really want to know how to get on the Ninnescah some day below Cheney Res. a bit. It looks to have potential.

4. OpsMan

OpsMan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have not tried goldfish as of yet do they work real well? Consitently?

5. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have heard that they do work well consistantly but you have to make sure that they are legal bait in your area. Here in Pennsylvania you are not aloud to use them and the fish commission likes to put a hurtin on your wallet.

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I usually use from 4-6 inch gold fish and 3-5 inch black perch and between the two I think they are pretty consistent for spring and early to mid summer river fishing for flatheads.

7. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I'm going to give it a try this weekend. Using bluegill for bait.

8. PRITCHETTK

PRITCHETTK New Member

State:
    SALINA, OKLAHOMA
    Ive always wanted to try goldfish, but the bait shops around here want like $11 a pound for them. I thought that was a little high, so I have just stuck to the black perch and shad. I will fork up the money here soon for some goldies.