Flathead Catfish and weeds?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by CBH, Jul 4, 2006.

1. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    While fishing late tonight, I pulled in a 'gill that had drifted into a weed bed and got weeds on the hook. It got me to thinkin'....should I be fishing around these weedbeds more often? I've not read anything about catchin' flatheads around weed beds, but I would think that they'd move in there to feed, just like every other predator does!! I stayed out until 12:30 AM, but didn't get a sniff! What's your experiences with flatties and weeds??

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Never tried it but I know a guy who catches big flatheads from weedbeds in lakes, and I mean huge thick weedbeds..He just flots a bluegill under a bobber right on top of the weeds.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I would say that that is just another cover for them. They hide in there and wait for gamefish to come through and munch on em. Deftinaly worth a shot if there are no log jams in the area I would try it out.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Weedbeds are good as long as you don't let your bait hide in it. Either find an opening, float just over it or find the edge. If you let a lively bluegill have free reign where will he go? To the nearest cover and nose down into the weed, making it hard for the cat to sense it.

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Flatheads may not live in them much but they sure do cruise them at night.

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I once found a 6inch painted turtle that ad been squashed and tossed it out to edge of the eed bed iwas fishing. It floated right onthe edge and after about 15 mins I saw a hugh flathead come up and take it with hardly any ripple on the water surface. I wiahed i had stuck a hook in it. I can only imagine how big the fish was too eat a turtle like that. next time i get th chance you know what i am going to do.