Flathead Catfish and the Asiatic carp

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by s_man, Jan 23, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Can any of you southern cat hunters tell me what happens to the flathead fishing when this carp takes over a river? They will be in my back yard soon. Will flats eat these things as bait, if so are they easy to catch?
    Or should I start lake fishing now to avoid the rush later.

2. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Sman, I live up north but, I have heard a few "rumors' on the asian carp. I do know that they are a nuicance species and shouldn't be released into the water system after being caught. I would imaging that the flathead would still consider them prey at there smaller stages in life. I am not sure how big those carp can get... that may be a problem.

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think the jury is still out on what kind of effects they'll have on our rivers but they will definitely disrupt the food web & likely out-compete native species. I would have to agree Sangamon & say the flatties will eat them whenever the opportunity affords itself. As far as how big they get, not sure of that but I know the bighead carp get at least this big...

Attached Files:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It all depends on what kind of carp are in the rivers. If you are talking about white amur, or grass carp, the triploid type, the ones usually used by state fisheries to reduce excessive vegetation, those will not breed and will eventually die off. On the other hand diploid grass carp can breed. As for what will happen to the fishery, a lot depends on how many are there. When released in Lake Conroe here in Texas, the triploids showed no evidence of breeding, but they put in too many and the carp just about denuded the joint. No more hydrilla made the ski crowd happy, but it sure did a number on the fish populations by eating almost all aquatic vegetation after devouring the hydrilla.

If they are in the rivers, then they probably came from a lake, except if its the big rivers. If in the rivers and not the lake, they'll wind up there.

5. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They will be very bad for our fisheries. Everything I have seen is bad news

6. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    can't imagine one of those jumpin up and hittin the boat

that would scare the crud outta me!

7. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    One that size looks like it'll tear your dag-gum boat up.

8. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Buddy of mine was runnin nets for bait in the Missouri river over the weekend and had a big head that he estimated over 100 lbs in the net in a trail dike,was so big that they could not get in the boat and rolled the fish back in the water to get rid of it,me I would of stuck a knife in its gills and called it good. But they do make good cut bait at times.

9. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    the knock against these fish is that they displace the native/existing species in their niche in the food chain.

Example, gizzard shad. Gizzard shad are an awesome forage fish for cats to feed on. Tons of protein, and they make great bait too! The asian carp also eat plankton, and are very competitive. It's possible if not controlled, the exotic carp can damage the population of the shad or other plankton eaters.

Plus, they are nasty s.o.b.s we've all seen videos of them jumping at boats and nearly knocking people out. I know the bowfishermen try to take out as many as they can, and I thank them for that!

Shawn

ps I haven't run into these yet, but I do think there may be some in the Rock river in IL. I haven't heard of them getting past the numerous dams in the Fox to the areas I fish.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have read that they can grow to 3 lbs in their first year and be over 10 lbs. in three years. They average 20 to 40 lbs as adults and can get to be over 100 lbs.They just grow so fast they aren't bait size for very long.
    Anyone out there fish a river where they have taken over?

11. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I fish the Kansas and missouri rivers and We have asain (flying) carp. We still have plenty of shad and the fishing is still prtty darn good! We kill every one we can never relesing one! They make pretty good cut bait!

The fist time one jumps out of the water By Your boat it'll about give You a heart attack!!! man those suckers get pretty Big

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thanks for the info brad k, I even heard they will jump into the boat and take out the passengers once in awhile. Thats a terrible way to start a fishing trip lol.

13. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    S man & Brad:

This video just came through our office the other day. It's pretty crazy. We're assuming they're asian carp but don't know for sure b/c the guys aren't speaking english. Even if they aren't asian carp, its worth the couple minutes to watch.

http://www.break.com/index/flyingfish.html

Enjoy!

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As much of a CPR guy that I am , if I am ever "unlucky" enough to catch one out of the Ohio River, I'm using it for cut bait. Even the CAG guys admit that these things are B-A-D news.

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    That is just crazy, I wonder if they have a natural enemy that could keep them in check without causing more damage.

16. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    who needs a guide - Quality,

17. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm with you H20 if it gets in my net....consider it cut bait.

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :0a28: Fishgeek - WOW! That little video is the most bizarre thing I've ever seen as far as fishing goes!

19. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Guys, I hear those asian carp are good flathead bait and good cutbait for big blues. I say cut em up and toss em out.