Flathead Catfish and Stink bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have never herd of it but i was wondering if anyone has ever caught a flathead on stink bait (dough). If so what brand were u using and how were u fishing the bait?

2. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Catmaster

No I have not, never used the stuff for Flats.

I did hear/read about one being caught on the Ohio River some time back. It was VERY EARLY in the spring when the water was still cold (under 55). That and it was not of any size.

3. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I have never heard of a flattie hitting stink bait. I don't use it so I can't help much there.

4. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    They want livebait. I read in a Catfish Insider that flatheads under about 22in. diet was almost all crayfish while 22.in and above were fish. Livebait is the way to go.

5. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    nice big bluegill will do the trick, mate!

6. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I use a lot of stink bait and I haven't caught a flathead on it yet.

7. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I have never heard of this phenomenon. Considering that even channels and blues over a certain size wont hit it (while their smaller relatives will) it seems like it REALLY wouldnt make much of a reliable bait for flatheads. Im not saying it isnt possible, but the fish would have to be near starving, I would think, to eat it.

8. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yeah I've never seen it done but I think if a flat runs by it and its starving
    it will eat it. I caught a 15 pound flat on cutbait.

9. fishin-crazy

fishin-crazy New Member

State:
    texas
    I use stinkbait alot but have never caught any flats on it.

10. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    my wifes biggest flathead, #18 lb , was caught on a red dip bait worm / sonny's super sticky. she had the worm snagged in the brush pile and there was a lot of action going on when he hit. just a freak accident, but don't try to tell her that. we occasionally pick up a small flat on dip bait, but if i.m targeting flatties, i would'nt even consider it
    catwacker

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Never caught any flats on stink bait, but it does do a number on the frying sized channels and bullheads.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have always caught alot of channels and bullheads on stink bait, the channels are usually good for eating and the bulls can be used for bait.

chris

13. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have never herd of it working either. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!

14. timworsham

timworsham New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I heard from this sit that using chick liver and adding garlic salt was good to catch the big catfish. So I tried it at a private pond and I caught a 25 pound blue and miss 2 when my line broke. Then I went back three week later and caught a 28 pound flathead. Trust me this stuff stinks really bad!!

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cured chicken liver doesn't stink, but it does have a pretty strong odor. I've caught lots of cats on baits with a strong odor, but I've never caught a catfish on dipbait, punchbait, or doughbait. I did catch a bream baited with punchbait once; that was the only fish I ever caught on the stuff.

16. catfish casanova

catfish casanova New Member

Where I fish, we usually only catch small flatheads. Stinkbait rarely works, but minnows and crawlers never seem to not produce..

17. htfryar

htfryar New Member

State:
    Hot Springs, Arkansas
    Never caught a flathead on stinkbait. I have caught small flats on rubber worms, shad raps and buzz baits while bass fishing though.

18. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I think its safe to say flatheads dont hit on stink baits that often. Never have heard of anyone doing so.

19. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Any bait i use will only be fresh cut bait or fresh live bait, when i say fresh cut bait, i mean it is alive in the bait tank untill it goes on the hook, shad , herron , w/perch, bream, etc. Any bait that is in a package is sold for one reason,--to sell--- just my thoughts.............

20. illinoisbullhead

illinoisbullhead New Member

State:
    illinois
    my dad caught a 10 pound flathead on the mississippi with sonnys. but he had been there for 4 hours lol