Flathead catfish and stable weather patterns

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jun 11, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio this year the weather has been crazy, constant rising and falling of the rivers..Hot then cold temps, up and down water temps..My river had dropped 10 degrees in temperature in a week..I am a firm beliver that Flathead need stable water, weater, which includes temps, and water levels before they feed good..I have had my best success after 3 days of a stable weather pattern.

2. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Man I feel your pain! Im in Ky & fish the Ohio & its been crazy no stability in nothing & its really hurting my fishing! I've got my fingers crossed that the summer & fall will calm down.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Blame it on El Nino! :lol:lol

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Flathunter,

You're right on the mark. I haven't been able to get the time to fish but 4 times this year, and I was all set to get out this weekend on the GMR but the weatherman couldn't predict flies on a dog pile. River's been up as much as 5 feet from last weekend, looked like it was headed toward fishable by last night. FOrecast was for mostly sunny, spotty showers. What did we get? About 1.5 inches of rain since Wednesday night, and considerably more noth of here. What's fishable at around 1800 to 300cfs flow (stream gage about 1/4-mile above the Knightsbridge dam) ran as high as 9000, and is still over 6000cfs this morning. I've fished these conditions, but it get to be too much like work from the bank. Bummer.

I'm with you - I like to see some stability in the pattern for several days, then fish on an incoming storm and rising water. I guess timing is everything. Later this week looks good, if you can believe the weatherman.

Dennis

5. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have only hooked up with two big flatties this year. They were both caught in the week long rain we had, and the moon was full. As soon as the nice weather hit, the fish quit. Now that it has been nice for about a week or so they are picking back up. I hope we can stay constant like you said so we can hook up with some more big ones.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i hear ya jack,same over here. i dig a good rain but the temps are suckin. every time the river goes up a cold front takes the temp down. just cant catch a break.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Same for out here in eastern PA.

The river has gone up and went back down in a week.

The temp has also lowered.

Did very well in May, but skunked 5 times in June

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same over here on the GMR! one week the water temps are in the 70"s, next the 50's, then 70's again, then 60's and on and on! fish were really turning on when we had all the heat right before memorial day, it has been horrible ever since. i havent caught but 3 flatties this year so far, biggest being 15lb.

9. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm in the same boat....no flatheads yet. Heck, only 1 channel, a 3 lber this month. I'm gonna work some overtime and prolly head back to the river the weekend before the 4th of July. Hopin' then I'll catch a flattie.