Flathead catfish and snags

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chris45601, Sep 1, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Quick question brother, When fishing say you get a bite, the fish runs with it. Sometimes will the fish run under a rock or some type of other snag, and how do you bring the fish out of the problem after it's happened.

2. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    A good rod, a big enough reel and heavy line. Most flattys are strong enough to take your bait and go where they want to. I use a Abu 6500 and 7000 with a stiff rod and 30lb line with 50# or more leader depending where I am fishing. Sometimes you have to heav them boys the opposite direction they want to go.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    If its after its happened, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Hope luck is on your side first! LOL!!! I've had that happen and I just try to pull it out and then give it some slack. Try that a few times. I've had it work before and other times it didn't work and I had to break off.

4. King Flats W'loo

King Flats W'loo New Member

State:
    iowa
    i had one run under the dam in waterloo before , i sat for hours just holding him. then i decided to cut him some slack and he eventually came out and i hauled him in 65lb flat. but do note if he get deep enuff in the hole you will have to cut that line abit disappointing but fishermans rules "Sometimes you have to give back to the water":wink:

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    From an old timer I sometimes fish with he claims if you strum on the line the vibrations will eventually bring the fish out. Dont know if it works for sure but he says it has worked for him.

6. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    use a stinger rig circle hook setup and you should not have to deal with that problem. clickers are good for flats and wide open areas but when fishing snags your asking for trouble.

7. KingVille

KingVille New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yeah i had one do that the other day he had the be very big because i could not move him at all. I believe he stuck his fins in the rocks and would not move ... I got to go get some better equipment for these fish ...i,m think about that 50 lb power pro fishing line in 12 dia with size 4 laser sharp and 3 oz weight and im good to go

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Once the flattie is hung up, I use the sting method to get the fish to swim away from the snag. Lower the rod with your right hand, grab the line between the reel and the 1st eyelet on the rod and pull out tight. At the same time whip the rod upward and let loose of the line popping it on the rod. This sometimes shocks the fish in the mouth and he will dash quickly and hopefully out of the snag. It has worked for me several times but just depends on how bad he is snagged up. Good luck

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    That has to be just about the sickest feeling you can get, fishing anyways, :wink: I agree and have done a few of things mentioned, sometimes they work sometimes they don't, a good prayer never hurts either :big_smile: there have also been times that I have just decided to get hard headed and wait wait wait, fed one slack and sat might have been a fluke but she finally swam out and it was back on...... our biggest problem here is trees and timber, have thought about using one of them cable saws for a leader, LOL. Good Luck on the next Battle!!

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    most of the time you can let them swim out with very little presure on them. then when they clear the snag lean on them so they dont go back in.

11. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree the stand-off is the way to go with a fleeing fish. He will eventually have to move. When he does he will be moving a whole lot more than he thought.

12. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hmm didn't know snapping the line would bring em out, i always use it to get snags out and the come out about 75% of the time..Now i may be able to catch those fish i been missing and just cutting the line on.

13. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i do the same as several of these guys. the only success i have had after a flathead snagged me is easing off on the pressure and letting him swim off. if you have enough rods in the water i would recommend setting that rod back down with a little slack on it and keep an eye on it. it would be a shame to wait for that big sucker to hit your rod simply to cut your line after a few minutes of being snagged.

14. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    here is what i do. drag his big old butt out of there. but i can do that since i am using a 10 ft surf rod with 80# braid on it. you can drag a log in with it, i know i have done it before. lol

15. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Just Do Like Me And My Bud's Do. Grab The Diving Light And Jump In The Water And Swim Down To Her And Slap Her On The As*!!! They Always Haul As* After That. Plus It Lets Us Know What And Were They Are Hiding At So We Know What Else To Look For. LMAO There Was One Time When My Bud Jumped In And Swam Down For Ant 30 Secs And Them Came Back Up Holding His Face. I Asked What Happened And He Said That When He Slapped Her She Tail Slapped Him In The Face.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You might have to try a combination of those. I have had success with both the SNAP the line method and the leaving the rod set till he comes out. Another in the vein of the snap, is to get the line tight and point the rod directly at the fish/snag and rap on the butt of your rod. This sends the same vibrations and is easier to do for long periods on a stubborn flat.

17. BOZZER

BOZZER New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have lost some nice fish this way i guess i need to use larger line

18. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

if your paying attentioon and the fish just swam in and snaged up, then i reel up slack and dont let them wrap up more, perhaps tighten the drag a tad and wait, in 5-10 min they should wander out of the snag, i might give slack as that might cause them to also drift out. if i wasnt paying attention and the fish moved without me knowing, like up stream in and thru a bunch off logs, or worst i compleately zonked out and wake up to my reel nearly striped and my line two bends downstream(big reel ha ha), then im in trouble. when i used to fish a streach then averaged 5-8 ft, i would take a long pole to fish the line out of logs, it actualy kinda worked for some not all snags. and got me closer to the fish. but still would lose some. I always wanted to jump in like some one sugested, problem was all those 80-100lb test lines snagged up down there, if you got wraped that would be it(even with a dive knife, which i religously carry). I would say the one time i walked in i was greeted by the bigest snapper i have ever caught on a circle. it must have weighed 40lbs!

19. noodlin Will

noodlin Will New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I walked into the river and untangled an 18#er one time but that is not always an option

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Like Goldenshinner was eluding to, If you just pay attention to your baits and don't cast them into the midst of a snag you shouldn't have a problem. Just cast within 3 to 5 ft of the snag. If there is a hungry cat in there he will come out. Then its up to you not to let him get back into the snag in the first place. Lets face it 80% of fish that make it back and entangle themselves in some sort of structure are not going to ever come out. No matter what we do. Yes we all have gotten one or 3 out, but I personally have lost quite a few fish due to snags that I would have loved to have at least seen. Watch your rods, and when a clicker goes off pick it up and ENGAGE, do not let the fish run. You'll catch more in the long run.