flathead catfish and rods

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 8, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    , i learn from my mistake, i got a berkly glowstick, but now i regret it, it doest cast well its flimsy, and i dont think its gonna be a winch, i think it will bend to the ground and not let me get a flathead up off the bottem, i neede a couple broomstick rods heavy action, that will horse a 50 60 poundr of the bottem, any brands of heavy action strong rods recomened,, some like the sesitive rods, but the way they run in the lake i need a super stout heavy rod .who agrees with me

2. REBELYELL1861

REBELYELL1861 New Member

State:
    TX
    NAW U DONT NEED A BROOM STICK JUST FISH WITH STRANDED COPPER WIRE DROP LINES WHEN THE FISH BITES HOOK IT TO THE BATTERY

BAM FISH IN THE BOAT

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Personally I dont like broom stick rods, I use rods with a lot of back bone but they to have a sensative tip...Never have had any problems handling flatheads in river current up to 55-lbs

I know guys who catch some mighty fine flatheads on those glowsticks

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you do want a rod with a super stiff tip, I would reccomend the ugly stick tiger in medium heavy action, sells for around 55 bucks, the tip on this rod is very stiff.

Also a quantum big cat in heavy action is a broomstick.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    this was on a walmart tiger combo rod, that bent over, are them bad rods

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I fish with "broomsticks" but I also fish nasty cover 99% of the time... a glowstick should get them off a clean bottom and out of some moderate cover...

Pull HARDER and if the rod breaks then you have a excuse to buy a new one.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    7 ft fiberglass Snaggen rod they use em here for snaggen spoonbill out of the boat. Name on the rod is snaggen stick. I use it for extreme fishing only mainly log jambs on the mo and snaggen bigheads for bait. As far as tailrace fishen a rod with a good tip lotsa backbone and can handle the heavy braid. Check out offshore angler surf rods bass pro 10ft med heavy action they only runn 24 bucks. I have put em thru hell snaggen spoonbill. And landed lotsa cats up to 50lbs and a 74 lb blue. They have spinnen and baitcaster models. For a bait caster get the heavy action I think you will like em. I hate fishen with soft rods to much whappen around in the current. I went to surf rods 8 years ago never looked back.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have 8 different flathead rods and each one is different. I have 7, 8, 9, & 10' rods and each one is capable of landing a hog. I have a 10' glow stick and it is a hoss of a rod. A buddy of mine has a 8' glow stick and he caught a 55 lb Flathead with no problem. I used to have a couple of the broomstick rods....but I got rid of them because I really didnt like them much at all. I did catch some good fish on them, but I prefer the longer rods with sensitive tips for detecting the bite easier.:big_smile:

9. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    That SU 90 Seeker Surf rod I built..Its has a slow to mod action IMHO( they say moderate)But its sure not what you call a beef stick..thats why I said it would make a killer circlehook rod..It would load up nice.and drag anything in on the surf:smile2:

The 30/60 will do the job:wink:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The walmart tiger combo is a=totally different than a ugly stick tiger rod.

Both are made by shakespre, but thats all they have in common.

The ugly stick tiger rod is yellow, and the rod itself sells for over 50 bucks.

The tiger combo from walmart sells for around 20 bucks for both rod and reel, not much of a outfit, but I would use it if it was all I had.

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those catmaxx rods that basspro sells are very stiff and seem to do the job well. A lot of people say the eyes are no good but personally I have not had trouble.

12. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Everyone has their own opinion and likes different things in a rod. I'm not a broomstick guy. My biggest issues with them is that you cannot read the tip of the rod to see what the bait is doing down there, and also a big fish will beat the hell out of you using a stiff rod.

I prefer something in the 8ft range that has a beefy body for lifting power, yet a softer tip section to absorb the big head shakes.

13. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    get a quantum big cat rod in hvy action 7'6 nice tip and a lotta back bone good all a round rod

14. ghudson434

ghudson434 New Member

State:
    virginia
    a love the broom stick rods. i have a dawia beef stick and its the stiffest strongest rod i have ever seen. i weigh 250lb and i can put all my weight on it if i get hung and it barely bends. have to use circle hooks n it because yo cant tell a fish is biteing until its hooked and trying to run. igot a abu 6000 on it with the power handle and ijust winch the fish in not worrying about the rod.