Flathead Catfish and noise

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by RiverKing, Jun 30, 2009.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I know everyone always says fish, especially flatheads will no tolerate noise. I now have to disagree. I fished with travis(TBull) a few weeks back and there was some crazy rap concert going on, on the bank, and we caught 1 flathead after another. Then this past saturday my wife and I were achored up and there was another concert going on up on the bank, and we tore the flatheads up. Its official that flatheads do not mind noise.

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    What was the biggest one you caught during all the noise? Since I have more confidence while being quiet, I'll keep in the stealth mode when fishing.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Nothing huge, i have caught flats up to 25 lbs where there has been noise. Saturday night the biggest ones were 15 lbs each.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Maybe they like rap!..........If that's the case I won't be catching as many as I could :smile2:

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

LOL..Me and my buddy said the same thing

6. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Taking an off the wall guess.......the vibrations from these loud concerts could be causing the fish to become nervous and agressive because they were scared off their comfort spot by the noise. Seems like a good a guess as any.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will still prefer trying to blend into their enviroment, concerts or not..LOL..I am still convinced they are as spooky as bass can be, especially in shallow water. Evidence with my thoughts comes from fishing shallow systems for years... rollo

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

The water I was fishing sat night was 12 foot just to let everyone know. I consider that shallow for the river.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think it has more to do with what the fish's natural enviornment is. The ohio river has constant 24/7 boat, barge, and vehicle traffic over bridges and what not. I dont think it makes much of a difference in a big river. Now if I am pulling back into a cove in a big lake then yeah I would prefer to keep it down. I don't really buy it on the river, especially big rivers like the Ohio. But I havent put a flathead over 35lbs in the boat either...LMAO

10. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    well if you think about it they have to hear alot of noise while people noodle for them so I wouldn't think they mind noise... :confused2:

11. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    That is suprising. Glad you gave this info. i wont be so quiet anymore :smile2:

12. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    have to agree with trav and we had this convo. A big river like the Ohio may be the exception with all the noise and other things they hear day in and day out. Its like having at train next to your house, most people it drives nuts but you learn to tune it out and no longer notice it.

13. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    my thoughts too.with all the traffic and noise on the ohio,that might have fell in as natural.i would say come and try it on the smaller rivers and you might get a few dinks.

and this especially holds true on lakes.you make noise,you won't catch good sized fish either.i have missed a few fish running to my poles with big clod hoppin work boots on,they spit it before i got there.took a few times before it started sinking in to my big head.makes a lot of difference.

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    oops double post

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I have to agree and disagree. I don't think that overall noise like a concert or race track near a bank will make much difference. BUT the other night I was at this spot that drives me crazy because every time I have hooked up there the fish instantly broke my line. So I anchor up on this overhang tree as quiet as possible then being quiet as possible I get everything ready. Then like the genius I am I dropped a pole that hit the aluminum on the boat and made a very loud sound. The same exact time that my pole hit the boat the water near my tree literally exploded bigger than I have ever seen and I did not get a bite there again that night. So I am going to try to be more quiet next time.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think it has more to do with the noise in the immediate area. The fish know what noises are a threat. Music playing in the distance is no different than barge traffic or what not. Now you standing on the bank fishing close to shore making noise will spook them out of there. They might not go far, but I doubt if you'll get a bite unless you cast a little ways away from the immediate area. Too many times I've been sneaking up to a spot getting ready to anchor or already anchored and someone drops something or slams a cooler lid to watch the water boil and one swim away quick. You gotta be sneaky when you're fishing close and shallow. They will not tolerate disturbances in the immediate area.

17. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    I think it goes back to the big fish little fish thing. If your a fish, lets say a 50 pound flathead and you hear/feel a disturbance it might draw your attention. Now if that disturbance is at the surface which would be where his only potential natural predators would be and it is accompanied by the silhouette of a boat which is like a 14foot fish to him, now he becomes the little fish and gets the f#$% out of dodge. Either way have you ever spooked a fish by being too quiet? Those big boys are hard enough to catch anyway I'm going to do anything I can to help my success.

18. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    On rivers, I don't think they care what's going on around them, but in lakes, that could be a different story. I've anchored over the top of deadfalls and snags on rivers with my stereo on and my buddies stompin' around all over the place and caught them. A flathead is the biggest, baddest fish in the river. Nothing messes with it because it's at the top of the food chain and he knows it.:wink:

19. ronniethomas

ronniethomas Member

State:
    iowa
    i've always believed that the quieter the better for flathead but i went out fishing yesterday and there were people shooting off big fireworks and it didn't keep the kid from across the river from pulling in a 10-12lb flattie. Maybe distant noises don't bother them as much as people screaming at eachother from the banks

20. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    next time there is country concert try that out and let me know if that works out with the same results, then i might try it.