Flathead catfish and location

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MON RIVER RAT, May 31, 2007.

1. MON RIVER RAT

MON RIVER RAT New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I'm a new member and new to flathead catfishing. I've caught several flats, all 4 or 5 pounders at different spots. If I caught small ones here would bigger flats be around as well. Only been able to get my hands on 2 to 3 inch shiners. I'm sure I should be using bigger bait.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    IMO if there are small fish around, there are no big fish in the area, they will be afraid of being eaten by that big 50 lbr!

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It depends on the size of the area fished. I fish a section of river that is 40 feet wide but full of snags. The snags offer some protection to smaller fish.

You need to learn how to get wild bait. Eating size bluegills, netted Shad, SkipJack are all easy to get in certain areas and are prime flathead bait.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some areas will hold primarily small fish, but it kind of depends. Are you fishing a river or lake or what? How deep?

The best thing you can do for bait is just catch some sunfish or bull head from the same area and fish with them. If you are still getting just small fish, then try another spot.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have found that if I'm only catching small flats there aren't any 30+ around. The small fish avoid larger flats cause they are very territorial and push the smaller ones into less prime areas. Now if you are talking about a lowhead dam things get different. The fish come thru in "waves" at times. You can be catching 10lbs and under flats and channels for 3 hours then they shut down and almost instantly you start catching flats in the 25 and 30's. You can just tell when the small fish quit hitting that a big one or a dozen have moved in to scope out the area. I have had this happen many times.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC!

7. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    welcome to the boc

8. dylan543

dylan543 New Member