flathead catfish and hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by outdoors1988, Aug 22, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what is the biggest hook you all use for flatheads. The biggest i have ever used is 7/0 witch is not very big but was wondering what everyone uses for them big mouthed fish.:smile2:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use every thing from 4/0 to 8/0. Depending on what I'm using for bait and where I'm fishing

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a size 5 for everything. :wink:

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I use 7/0 Gamu oktupus pretty much every time. I got some 10/0 Gamu's for bigger baits, but I'm always too lazy to change leaders when I grab a bigger bait out of the bucket. Still 7/0 seems to do the job on just about any size bait you would use for flatheads. The key to hook size is to size it to your bait not what you are fishing for. And 7/0 Gamu oktupus seems to be a good size for 90% of the baits I use.

5. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    i have been using and having good luck with 6/0 gama wide gap worm hooks thats all i could find at wally world,i have had three bites and three hook ups so far small flats 2 around 8 lb and a big channel that weighed 10 lb,i have caught bigger blues,but that the biggest channel i ever caught just a hour ago

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I use Mustad 92671 J hooks.Size 7/0 if my baits running small,10/0 for my regular size baits.:wink:

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Gamakatu or Daiichi 8/0 hooks for just about everything, but I bought some 8/0 and 10/0 Charlie Brown hooks from Wild Wolf to try out.

8. kyleh

kyleh New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like Diatchi Chunk Lite Circle Hooks size 5. I've never had enough reason to use size 7 because using size 5, I can catch channels or flatheads between 20-40 lbs.

9. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Well it's all about bait size. I use..

Eagle Claw Kahle in 4/0 to 7/0

Matzuo Sickle in 6/0 7/0

Gamakatsu octopus in 8/0 10/0

Shad Lure brand (local bait shop) in 9/0

Gamakatsu Big River in 12/0 never had bait big enough for these yet.

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    I have to agree with steve on this ,i do have some larger hooks 9/0/or 10/0 but i keep forgetting to us them . I suffer from C R S snydrome :wink::smile2: