Flathead catfish and Cut Shad?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by shellerflat, Apr 24, 2007.

1. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Was fishing the other day and was unable to find bream before dark. Had to go with cut shad, got a few hits but nothing to the boat. Have yall had any luck catching flatheads on cut shad?

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Not often,but they will hit cutbait,nightcrawlers,dip bait and lures on occasion

3. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I never get any luck, probly because i've never had a chance to go fishing out of a boat and get to the good locations. Best of luck if you manage to hook into a beast.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive always cought more blues on shad, but there has been the occasional flatty.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree with cook. My best luck has came on live or dying bait fish.Sometimes they'll hit a whole dead baitfish but prefer live.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    :0a26:

My #1 Bait for gettin Shovels on the Ohio river is FRESH cut Shad!!!!!!

For me it out produces alot better than live Baits ..... 3 or 4 times better than live and I used lots n lots of live. I've fished Live n Cut side by side too!!!!!

What I seen on the Ohio River is about 85% of the time the Flatties will not run with it but only peck at it. I get them by setting the "J" hooks on the peck gettin @ best a 10% hook up ratio and dang proud of it too. That about 70 Flats up to 39#s on the "Lite-Bite".

Hope this helps

:haha:

7. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    WE catch a lot of our flatheads on cut shad. Actually in the Santee river all I have baited with is fresh cut shad and herring and caught as many flatheads as blues.

8. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Most of the flatheads i catch is on cut shad. But i also think they bite just as well on live ones. I cut them to get more than 1 use out of 1 shad:lol:.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My first choice is still a big lively baitfish, but I caught my biggest flathead, 49lbs, on a smallish piece of cut shad.

10. bigleroy

bigleroy New Member

State:
    wv
    In the kanawa we catch about 75% of our big flats on shad heads.When I say big I mean 30# and over.But the main thing is FRESH shad you cant even freeze them. I tryed that last year and my catch rate droped by half.

11. ohiocatman62

ohiocatman62 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always caught flatheads on cut shad on the Ohio, My biggest flathead was on cut shad 40+ lbs and my biggest channal cat 16 lbs.

12. shellerflat

shellerflat New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Thanks for all the replies. For a little background I have been fishing a lake with the majority of bait fish being bream. I have noticed the majority of you who report success with fresh cut shad are river fishers. Could it simply be that the shad are not native in the lake and the flatheads prefer hunting the live bream?

13. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I have had luck catching flatties on cut shad but i usually do better with live shad or black perch.

14. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    I like cut and whole baits but they half to be fresh no frozen.

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The best advice I can give you is to use bait that you've caught out of the lake that you're gonna fish. I don't know why, but it seems to help. If shad aren't native where you are, then use what baitfish are available in that lake.

But yes, I have caught flatheads in the smaller rivers around here on shad.

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    caught my 2 biggest flatheads on cut shad a 80 lber and a 61 lber

17. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I caught my personal best flattie year. He weighed in at 26 pounds and was caught on three small threadfin shad on the hook. I have caught a few flats on cut shad by seems like most have come on whole fresh live shad. rspd507

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, Don't limit yourself to what everyone else is using. I have caught flathead on rivers with cut shad,carp,chub,crappie,bass,gills..etc I don't lake fish often but have never caught a flathead with cut bait in a lake yet. If gills are the most abundant species then use them both alive and cut. When you get to cut bait you can do many different things with a bait. You can leave it whole, you can take all the scales off, cut slits in the sides, cut open the belly, cut it in half and use a head and a torso,you can fillet the bait and put on multiple pieces. Or any combination of these and anything else you can think of. Experiment with your baits, don't lock into one way and never change. Some nights they want live shad, next they want live gills, then they want crushed gills, this could be in the same week or month. If you aren't catching fish you need to change something. Its up to you to figure it out, that's what makes this more fun to me. Deer hunters only get a week or a month to chase down a deer. But we can fish 52 weeks LOL. I still learn something new on every trip I take. Good luck.