Flathead Catfish and cut bait

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ASASIN, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I had the good fortune of being able to feed the fish at Cabelas in Kansas today. A good friend of mine works there and she told me to help her feed the fish. Fortunately there was a near dead bluegill in the tank and I took it and cut it up to feed the two 120 plus pound blues in the tank. They are neat to feed and they actually will let you pet them and one will take the bait out of your hand. I saw a flathead on the bottom and decided to try and get it to eat some of the cutbait. It was eating the cutbait like it was going out of style!!!!!!!!!! Pretty neat to watch as well. Those big blues would sense the bluegill in my hand with their lateral lines and would turn on a dime and would be like where's it at and chasing each other off. Very neat to experience!!!!!!!!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed myself while doing that. I watched a nice crappie chase down a goldfish and chomp it as well. A good friend of mine raises minnows and says that the orange colored minnows outfish regular minnows about 10 to one, so it only makes sense that they would like the goldfish. I was suprised because the goldfish was so big, but the crappie was close to 4 lbs, too. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you guys. They went bonkers when I'd put water in the bucket and slosh it around and then dump the blood/scales in the water as well, trying like heck to find that dead fish. God bless.

2. skippy

skippy New Member

State:
    cincinnati ohio
    I bet that was a neat experience, I would like to do that some time, but in a way, I guess i do everytime i throw a piece of cut bait out in the water, I just dont get to watch the fish...... It seems that i have got more flatheads this year on cut bait than last year, I wounder why that is?.....

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Bet it was fun.
    Took the kids up to smithville marine one time when they were feeding their fish.Wasn't much of a feeding frenzy,but they were excited and stalking the prey.

4. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Skippy, Back in the spring when the Shad were 2" long, I caught several Yellows on then. Which is unusual also, I rarely ever caught a yellow on cut bait until this year also. I'm going out on a limb here but the Perch may have been scarce forcing them to find alternate food sources.

I always set 1 trotline with cut bait to catch small blues & channels, All other hooks get baited with Goldfish or Perch.

I was catching the shad with my castnet in a spring pool about 10' diameter & 12" deep with a sandbar at the exit about 2-3" deep where predators couldn't get to them.

5. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    thats awesome asasin, i have never been there when they fed the fish. them are some big blues in there too.

6. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    It was an awesome experience that I'll never forget. I have caught quite a few flatheads under 12" on dip bait/beejay in shoal creek(NW Missouri shoal creek). And they aren't bullheads, I'll catch plenty of them as well and clearly know the difference between the them. God bless.

7. Matthew Cook

Matthew Cook Member

State:
    Arizona
    i didn't think flatheads ate cut bait until we were out fishing one night and couldn't catch any bait except a big carp. we cut it up and threw it out and ended up catching three flatheads, a 7, 8, and a 15 pounder. feeding those blues must have been fun, kind a scary too!

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    The Flathead you see in my profile bit on 2 3" shad cut in half and he weighed 62lbs. Flatheads will bite fresh cut bait, not old...

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Catfishhunter what is considered old I had one on my line that was with a Blue gill that was dead for a couple of hours on the Ohio before my line broke.

10. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Crappie is the only cutbait i can say ive caught more than one flathead on.

11. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    i have heard that people have done very well with live bait for flats. but my fishing partner Ducain and i have only had luck with cut shad. we have slayed the flatties on 6 to 10 in. shad cut just behind the dorsal fins. although my personal best a little 35#er was caught on 3 babbies on my hook.

12. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Ryang, I usually consider it old if it has been frozen or several days old. The smaller flatties are not as picky as the bigger ones...

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    90 percent of my flatheads come on cut shad..My biggest of 50-lbs came on cut frozen shad.

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I catch mainly all my flathead on suckers ranging from 10 to 20 inches long. But as the water temps got colder they were hitting shad heads. But not like they were hitting sucker heads. They were hitting them like mac trucks

15. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We use a lotta cut shad. Mostly for blues. This place seems ta be a wealth of info, that's why I ain't said much. Better ta be thought a fool than open yer mouth an remove all doubt, I reckon. Anyway we use mostly sun perch fer live bait.

16. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

flatheads may perfer live bait but they will not turn down a fresh kill either,its been my experiance that they will take it better during the day that at night

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Sinker - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25:

18. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks PC. Been 'lurkin' round on here fer a couple weeks. Ya gotta good thing goin. Noticed a little intolerance fer my kinda fishin, but that's how it is. I'm a trotliner an jugger from away back! I don't mess with their lines, an I expect th same treatment! Lotta wise folks on this site. I hope they're considered the same on th water. Wishin good fishin ta everbody!

19. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Sinker ditto on the welcome. Never tried cut bait but I have a trip planned next weekend and plan to exclusivly use cut bait. Going to try Mackeral and gils.

20. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I feel that the only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. I have not found one post from anyone who has critizied anyones question which is a testament to the class of people which frequent this site!