Flathead catfish and cooler weather

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by sbirnel, Aug 29, 2006.

1. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    I was getting bites from flatheads at night on live white perch near the banks in two the three feet of water a couple of weeks ago, they were apparently cruising the shallows at night looking for a meal. The lake I fish is fairly shallow, most of it 14 to 15 feet deep. this last week we have had a cold snap, with a lot of cloud cover and drizzly rain. I have not been able to get a bite using my usual methods. my question is, should I start fishing deeper? will they still come into the shallows to feed when the lake is rising and the temp is dropping? any tips appreciated.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Scott, with many species, fish feed in patterns and change with the weather and other factors, flatheads are no different. They may be still feeding in the same areas, but maybe moved deeper or are feeding the shallows during the daylight hours when the water is warmer, or maybe their tastes changed and they are feeding on other types of prey, such as shad or gills. I have never had any luck here in my area using perch, live or cut. Vern

3. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    All i can really say is that i cant wait till the end or next month and October cause i alway produce my biggest fish around that time of year.... but my wheather has been alot like yours... just have to be patient.... good luck though

4. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX
    I have had great luck so far (only been fishing for flats for a month now) using the 6 or 7 inch live white perch for bait, I have had guys fishing around me with bluegill, goldfish, chubs, etc. but my live white perch get all the bites! the lake is lousy with them, probably why....
    Now if I could just up the percentage of bites I hook...still experimenting on that one. Circle hooks are not solving the problem, they pull, bend the rod over real nice, but then drop it without getting hooked. maybe I should try the kahle hooks?

5. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    just wondering
    is a white perch a freshwater drum?
    maby a crappie?

6. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Fall Flathead fishing can be great. They generally start to get into an aggressive eating pattern. Usually find them in my local lakes a bit easier. I've had a hard year this year in trying to find em. I'm really hoping they start to move into some of the spots I know/heard of around here ..

7. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    i do better in the fall.

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    From what ive heard, white perch is another name from drum.

9. sbirnel

sbirnel New Member

State:
    TX

Attached Files:

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    The water tempature of the Ohio River has dropped a solid ten degrees this week, with much needed rain and a temperature drop. My brother (ka_c4_boom) and a friend did fair fishing last night on the Ohio. But c4 and I slayed them tonight. We got thirteen cats in the boat and another flathead to the boat. lol Of the thirteen six were flatheads and one c4 got was around the fourty mark. We were catching them on fresh caught skipjacks around five and six inches long hooked dead whole. Vern

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know about where you are, but I think white perch are native in most places. They tend to take off and multiply like crazy when a resevoir is built. Thye use them for live baits at Santee Cooper a lot - same thing, there's lots of them in there. Plus they are tough little buggers and active.

12. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

hey you guys using circles or reg hooks when you use those ahm white perch? I like them too, as they croak in the water. draws the cats in like a magnet. on big water you need every advantage you can get. some nights those are the ONLY bait that works. I dont know why