Flathead catfish and cooler water temps

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MUDHOLE KID, Oct 10, 2005.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Whats the area you fishing? What's the water temps? River or lake?The best question is,Are you catching flatheads?I'd like to see this post updated all though the winter months to track everyones success.Help me out ,I'd like to see how many fisherman catches flatheads in the cooler water temps,(50's or less).You can include depth if you'd like.Not that I'm writing a book or anything,but I do like to rescearch,that's why I'm here.Help me out this fall and winter.Thanks Men. :D

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mudhole Kid, the water is not that cool yet but it has cooled some. It seems since the water has cooled that the flatties have really turned on around here. My friends and I have been really tearing up the flatties in one of my favorite holes lately. It is an outside bend on the Ohio River. The water depth is around 25 to 30 feet with some structure. Above it is all shallow water with no more than 30 feet of water and mostly 20 or less and below is a rocky point dropping off to a nice 50 feet hole of water. Up until the weather change I had been tearing the blues up in this hole. On the 1st of September I caught 2 twenty pound blues and a 43 pound blue out of this hole, but as of late all that seems to be there are flatties of all sizes. Vern

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Keep me updated later on too man.Water temp is still in the 80's here,so it will be awhile before it drops way down.I just want to get as much info as i can from different areas.Thanks and check back in. :D

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ill try to keep you updated too bro. last year we caught flats down to 48* in the core of holes. deer season kinda gets in the way of my flathead fishin you know. it kicks in about that time (nov.16),but ill do my best. somone was doing this same thing last year so maybe they will chime in for you too.

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    The temperatures here on the Mississippi are steadily going down. It was 72 degrees this past Saturday. The Saturday before (Oct. 1), it was around 74-75.

I caught a 30# Flat on October 1st in about 22 feet of water, on the front side of a wing dike.

This past Thursday, a local guy caught a 72 lb Flat on the backside of a wing dike in 35 feet of water.

I'm hoping to catch a few more this year.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    here on the kansas river weve had a cold snap with lots of rain cooled the water down quick, surface temp on oct 9th was 65 degrees. seems to have the cats movin here the last two weekends fishing and setting lines we have caught 7lb ,15lb flathead on rod and reel,Two blues 41" and 45" and the flathead thats my avatar was 48" on bank poles. need to get a bigger scale don't have one that big right now. any way thats what happening here.

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    sorry for two posts ran out of time editing .....all fish CPR sets were made in 5-7' deep on a ledge that drops off into 15-17' pics in the kansas river thread

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Keep us updated later on men ,good reports.I know deer season rules over alot of mens fishing time ,but fish when you can this winter and report back. :D

9. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    nice fish Bradk....I only pray for rain here. And 7' water is a secret spot here. lol :rock-big:

10. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    thanks hoosier, no deer season for me I only hunt birds. should have the boat running thru mid november. might go out tonight for a lil bit,and definatly go out this weekend. don't know how much help i'll be once pheasent season opens here in kansas but I can keep you guys posted up to that point anyway.

11. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    mudhole, the kansas river is still 65* water level down 1.5' from sun when I was on her last. fished a 23' deep hole W/ good cover. no flathead bites only one small channel cat. only fished for 3.5 hrs 6-9:30p

12. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    thanks brad,i'm going in the morning,maybe i'll get to report back a little good news.

13. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    I'll keep you updated on the flatties here in Indiana with the water getting colder! Take it easy and Good luck fishin!

14. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Thanks man,I'll be looking for your updates

15. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Mudhole, here in KC the kansas river has dropped drasticly. water level is below the gauge The NOAA moniters but I'm gonna make an educated guess and say the river has dropped 4' from Wed. water temp was 67* saturday at dusk and dropped 2* by 3:00a when We went home. not even a single run fished Two usually productive holes but alas no fishies. Did set out some bank lines and caught a twenty close to cover in that magic 7-10 ' of water CPR.(finaly bought a 150lb scale)no monsters this weekend I usualy have a rough go of things right after the river drops.

Attached Files:

16. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Last night the water temp was about 67 degrees, fishing in about 8 feet of water, caught a 52# blue a 24# blue and a 35# flattie, all on eels.

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's a great night by my standards, Jaync! Good work - makes me want to try those eels even more.

18. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    It almost makes me want to leave work and go fishing right now, but I guess you have to make money to fish also. I guess I can waut until next weekend.

19. fireman10535

fireman10535 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    I hear ya Brad, fished the last couple days on the Missouri here in KC, drastic water drop over the last few days and didn't really catch anything to speak of

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Fished Friday and Sat., morning.Had soso luck Friday, but Sat., was worst.Water temp down here is still in the high 70's low 80's.The air temp was well into the 80's here this weekend and the skies were bluebird so to say the lease high pressure hurt us.Fall fishing hasn't even started yet.I guess the highlight of the weekend was Chris caught a small flathead in 54' of water.We was fishing the edge of the river bend and he let one of his lines go off into the channel and caught the small flatty.Keep the news coming men.,water ain't cold yet. :D