Flathead catfish and Bluegills

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by RiverKid, Jan 29, 2009.

1. RiverKid

RiverKid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A Buddy and I went to Springfield Lake today. Which Im not big on lakes and ponds as he is, but believe it or not I was happy from the moment we got there. It was 27 degrees f and the time was between 10am-3:30pm. My buddy set a pole for cats and the other for bluegills. While I had just one Bluegill pole. He caught 6 in the five minutes it took me to add my weight, hook, and bait to the pole. For bait I had bought wax worms and nightcrawlers. I put my pole in the water and instantlly caught a bluegill. I released the bluegill. Now all Im doing is dropping it 4-6 feet down straight off the dock. And my second fish was a 19 Ibs Flathead we wasnt there ten minutes and I had caught this on my bluegill pole amazinglly exciting. The rest of the time we chuckled and laughed and just seen how many blue gills we could catch. All put in an areated bucket later released the total come to 119 bluegill... What a great first day of the year out...All we used was wax worms, none of nightcrawlers even got used...Just thought Id share this...

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Sounds like a great day. Welcome to the BOC Chris.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thats cool stuff.. amazing that a flathead was active. Congrats on that bud.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nice! Was you in the warm water areas i'm guessing? Welcome also!

5. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    awsome man, i have fished springfield lake once or twice. always from the bank once at the dock u walk on off of stevenson and 55. the other time was at what they called a warming spot or somethin had to walk through some woods to get there. but anyway let me know how the action goes i have a daughter there in springfield so i always go up.i was just askin the other day about this lake.welcome to the BOC.

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Congratulations, that sounds like a fantastic day of fishing!!

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I know alot of guys that fish Springfield lake tourneys, and a 19lbs flattie is a nice catch! Congrats!!!:smile2:

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Sounds like a great day. Welcome to the BOC

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Welcome to the BOC! Sounds like fun

10. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    WTG!:cool2: Most of us are just dreaming about cattin':dribble:. Did you get a picture? Would make a good Avatar and could get you into some drawings.

Welcome to the BOC
    Wooly

11. Dustoff

Dustoff New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Going over to Powerton Lake in Pekin Il. this weekend to fish the warm water discharge for cats.

12. RiverKid

RiverKid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For the two questions...

It was in the Warm water...And no I dont own a camera, but I'll get one since I'll prolly be on here for a while. Ive found lots of things I never knew.

I tried the River first near Dawson water plant, but no luck...Makes it hard to fish with 8ft sheets of ice along the bank. Cant wait till it all thaws, cuz soon as it does I'll be walking the banks. Thanks everyone.

13. Tim G

Tim G New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    WAYTOGO!! 19LBS FLATTY is real nice fish ,

14. RiverKid

RiverKid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went to the same spot the past two nights. First night we caught 3 blue gill the second night we caught 2 bluegill, but I hooked something with some weight to it. I played with it for about 10 minutes or so then when my buddy went to net it. It gave one last good tug and snapped my line. I think I may have found a honey hole for some big 'uns. So Im taking my cat poles unstead of the bluegill one next time...I just bought the Garcia 6500 and a 6'6 ugly stick...Good luck everyone...

15. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i would have been using some bluegill for bait anyway good job wish i could fish:wink: