flathead catfish and blue catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mudcat dale, Jun 5, 2009.

1. mudcat dale

mudcat dale New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone ever catch big blues and flatheads in the same hole. I bank fish the trinity river and have one spot where I can almost always catch a few 15lb + blues. I've caught a few over 40. We did catch a 45lb flathead there once and a small one about 3-4 lbs one time. I usually fish with live bullheads and cut bream. Curious if the one flathead was just a fluke or not. The night we caught the big flat head we also caught a bunch of blues (40lb, 30lb, and several smaller). Just wondering if it was a fluke or not.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dale Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. No I don't think it is a fluke. When there is a good food source you will find both flat and blue in a feeding hole, (area):0a25::0a25::0a22:

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im trying to find out how they coeexist, from what i hear a flthead is very agressive towerd blues,and drive them out, even though a blue bites harder, i think the blues are just pasing throgh the hole not lingering in it, i dont think they hold alot

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Yes they will certainly hold together. We have caught 150# of flats and blues that were together. The fish were all in the teens to 30#. We've caught blues over 50# and flats were there also. I agree if the food is there they will all be there. 95% of my flats are caught while looking for blues since I only hunt blues...for the most part.

-Jim-

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dale. I believe they both can be cayght in the same holes. Both fish do move around especially at night. Has a lot to do with the bait your using also.

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yes it is possible... I have caught blues and flatheads in the same hole.. and i have seen some big fish of both kinds pulled out of a few dams. so yes it is possible but you always have to watch for baitfish.. if there is alot of food for them they will group up