Flathead catfish advice

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tugrivercater, Jul 19, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    im going to target flatheads for the first time tomorrow or the next day. my queastion is should i use some big ol creek chubs or some kinda sun fish that i cant even identifie? i cant get some large creek chubs about 4 to 6 inches pretty easy or i can go catch me some of these weird looking things that has a mouth to big for its body and has blue specks on its gills and head and they are bretty big and hardy.. i

2. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    im going to target flatheads for the first time tomorrow or the next day. my queastion is should i use some big ol creek chubs or some kinda sun fish that i cant even identifie? i cant get some large creek chubs about 4 to 6 inches pretty easy or i can go catch me some of these weird looking things that has a mouth to big for its body and has blue specks on its gills and head and they are bretty big and hardy.. i could prolly get some bluegills but it would be alot of truble. thanks.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    get the creek chubs and the sunfish. that way you can see what the flatheads want. Either will be good bait

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I would get a combo of the 2. Throw one line out with a sunfish on it and another out with a creek chub on it, both make great baits, so try them both and find out what the flatheads are out looking for right now.

5. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Those sound like they might be green sunfish.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    They both are excellent bait choices! Can't go wrong with either one!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They are both good bait, dont ge down on yourslefs if you dont catch any..It takes time and alot of Paitence to catch flatheads..I have mnay fishless days when I fish for just flatheads.

8. mattoonboy4

mattoonboy4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    we always called those rock bass or war mouth. it just looks like a bluegill body with a huge mouth. ive heard these are very good because they dont stress as much as many other bait fish. i set a lot of bank poles and i would love to find me a spot to catch a bunch of war mouth. but i agree with everyone else as well, try both and see what the flattys r cravin'. i sometimes like to bring livers and catch a few channels here and there to keep my spirits up when the flatty's r bein stubborn. good luck.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try both at different depths, one in close and one out deep. Heck if you can put several poles out, take someone with you.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you are allowed to fish two rods where you live fish em both!

Good luck and dont give up if you dont catch anything. It sometimes takes time to get a flathead, it just makes when you finally do get a nice one that much sweeter!

11. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    id just catch both to see wat works better

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    In Ky you are allowed as many rods as you care to watch!!! I would use as many as I could to up my chances a little, if I were you.

Those funny looking sunfish you are reffering to are rockbass and they are great flathead bait as are creek chubs. Don't overlook using fressh cut shad or skipjack either, this is what I have caught all of my flatheads on. I have yet to catch a flathead on live bait.

13. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would say take as many baits as possible. you never know what they are biting on. i have caught a few on just ol' nightcrawlers(best at night). just overload the hook. they won't pass it up.