Flathead bite time (bite-thirty)

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by drpepper, Sep 24, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    So, what times are the flatheads turning on where you fish... and what times do they quit?

I get about an hour of bite time then it's seems useless after that... I usually don't stick around till dawn because by midnight I've done went hours without so much as a nibble. I KNOW I have found a hole that is absolutley chocked FULL of flatties (you'd have to see it, it would make any fleathead guy drool) but after an hour's bite time..... nothin'... no matter what... fish the head of the hole, tail of the hole, IN the hole... every logjam, shallows, flats, live bait, cutbait you name it I've done it (I think) Heck last night I even vertical jigged my bait in a big log jam that sat over a deep hole lol(anybody ever had any luck with that?)

The flatties are in there so thick right now I could probably snag 'em with a treble hook lol, so let's hear it flathead masters!
    And if your Idea works, I'll sure give ya credit for it.:wink:
    The river is super LOW here by the way.

2. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    maybe you should tell me which hole it is....GPS coordinates would be best....I may need a little hands on experimentation to figure this one out:cool2:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, maybe I'll just alert the media... tell the whole world where it's at... lmao:smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Last week I caught a nice one at 9:30 pm then two days later same spot at 10:00. However I also have also caught alot of nice ones between 2-4am. It seems like they come in waves but I think they just bite pretty good at night.

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Okay Ben, here ya go :wink: 26 49' 13.99"N 30 48'08.99" E

Let me know how ya do!

6. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    use a bullhead they clam that it will swim right up to a flathead and it will smash it. watch the flathead seminar under ( catfish videos) its at the very end of the video. He shows you how to tie a suicide rig using bullheads.

7. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I popped those coords into Google Earth. Looks like a winner of a spot. I'm surprised you're so generous with it! Looks like you might be having a bit of a drought, though.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    anything to help a brother out:smile2:
    Bnorth... you know anytime you want, we'll head out... it's rough here compared to the bash... and super slooooow, but who knows, you might even get out here and break that 42 y/o flattie record!
    But I'm ready to decend on River Scums spot myself lol

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Your spot gives a whole new meaning to "BFE" doesn't it? No wonder you're not catching a darn thing. I think you need to go study up on "how to pick a spot" in the member library! :smile2: Or start using camel meat for bait!

How about we both just drop in on 'ol River Scum's spot?

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    9-11pm is what they were biting at last week. i didnt try past midnight or in the day, so.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :crazy:Ha!!! you looked... you were gonna move in on poor 'ol dr peppers only descent spot werent cha? :confused2: Man!

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats about normal, (9-11)I think that here, right now, with the water sooo low,, when you find the flatties, they're massed in the deepest hole(s) they can find... and so is the bait.... there's plenty of grub, so they quickly and easily gorge themselfs and go back to bed.
    Fishing around the holes at bite time right now (head, tail etc) isnt as productive as fishing right smack dab down IN the hole when there is bait fish everywhere they're not leaving their lairs much to hunt... just my thinking while I'm out there shiverin' my ass off in the cold....

13. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    hey Dr.pepper why don't you leave that hole alone for the weekend and head on down to markland and catch a mack daddy like the one in your avatar. I know that place is running around in your head. I'm headed out this weekend .I haven't slept all week!!

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man, you'd tempt me like that this weekend of all weekends wouldnt ya...

We've got a family thing goin' on all weekend long... I won't even get a chance to fish here... yea, knowing the hawgs in that river,,, It drives me nuts not getting to fish it much. Your a lucky dawg! You and me need to hook up and go at least somewhere before the snow flies....

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    So, Bill, How do you know that's it's flatheads you are marking on the fish finder? They are pretty territorial, and don't usually cluster together in groups, at least from my observation.
    Bill in SC

16. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Your right about that, but the river here is about 2 ft deep with no significant holes for looong stretches... there is an serious absence of bait fish also except right in and immediately around the hole... gobs of bait fish are swarming the hole,, almost like they're stuck in a pond... the flatties I've been catching, bite almost simutaniously at bite-thirty with each bait within a few feet of each other... right smack down in the bottom of the hole... I surmised they where flatties I marked simply because everywhere else is nearly void of fish... There are 5-7 foot scours here and there, but they arent holding any fish at all hardly- and I've wasted bite times fishing the deepest scours that have jams, even though i never marked a single fish thinkin' they might be outta sonar range under a logjam or something like that... with no luck at all... it's like they're wintering, but because it's so shallow everywhere and every night I go back I catch quite a few- fishing the same way.
    problem is,, the dinks get to my bait before the bigger ones get the chance and I waste the bite time rebaiting, etc.... I am gonna try BIG baits next few times out to dodge the babies, and I've got a real good feeling about that idea... well see.

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I am gonna try BIG baits next few times out to dodge the babies, and I've got a real good feeling about that idea... well see.>

As I was reading the reply, I was thinking just that, before I got to that part! might just be the key to catchin' a hog! Anxious to see how that turns out.
    BB in SC

18. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One other thing I've noticed also,, no channel bites. Usually I am pestered by channels in a flattie hole at least getting one or two or having them pull my bait.

As I go up/down the riffs though, there they are in strong shallow riff areas... I could probably set and have a channel cat hayday in the shallow riffs! When startled, they'll head up stream toward the calmer 2' water away from the hole... even if they're at the very head of it.... I've never really noticed this behavior before. Fishing the scours I've caught channels... but, again... non in the holes.
    This is just a weird time with the river down so low.

19. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Seems like the flatties move out for chow about an hour before sunset until around 10:00 then sporadic throughout the night and they're back on from 3:30 to just before sunrise.

20. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    Bill, i would love some bags of lil flathead if you want to get them outa your way.:wink: lol i wish i could find a hole full of eaters, they are scarce in my waters. at least we have a hard time getting anything under 10#. you guys think the bigger ones are eating the smaller ones or im just fishing big fish spots? the most eaters we have ever had on the stringer is 4 i think. we will go a month or more without catching anything close to being small enough to eat! we also catch very few channels but when we do they are big ones. i know whats happening to those guys. flatie food lol

have you tried limb lines in various places Bill?