Flathead bait - What kind of sunfish is this?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by USE TO BE, Aug 17, 2007.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been using these for Flathead bait, and I always refered to them as rockbass. I did some searching and it doesn't fit the description of a rockbass. I'm thinking either Green sunfish or Warmouth-but no red eyes, so I'm thinking Gren Sunfish? I have been catching them along rocks at a marina where my boat is docked. I know that, for me, they live longer than bluegill and are much more acitve. They have are fatter, have a larger mouth and are not as wide form belly to back as a bluegill. This one might have lost some color because he has been in my bait tank in my garage for about a week.

[​IMG]

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hopefully a dead one in the mouth of a flathead. LOL!

3. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been saving this particular one for a week and he is going to get his chance to do his best Flathead bait impression tonight.:wink:

4. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    I say, "Green Sunfish".

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I don't know for sure what they really are but we always called em warmouth bream. We caught em by the dozens when we were kids running wild on the creekbanks.

6. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    We call them Warmouths up here...they tend to be hardier than Bluegills so i try to look for them all the time.

7. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    But my favorite bait for those whiskers are bullheads!!! Make sure legal in your state first!!

8. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's it. Thanks TomV. Green Sunfish it is. I put a little 2 incher in my 3 yr old daughters' aquarium and now it is her favorite fish.

9. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'd say a green sunfish because, a warmouth is fatter and has those faint brown stripes running vertical throughout the fish

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I believe that is a rock bass or maybe a warmouth, perhaps a hybrid or the two.

11. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure the rock bass has 6 barbs on its anal fin and these only have 3. That's what I found out when I did some searching on the net. I will probably keep calling them rockbass, regardless.:wink:

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    We have got plenty of those little sunfish here in AZ lakes.. I always prefer a blue gill over a sunfish. But I take what I can get.

13. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am 99% sure that is what you have there. I use them for flatties all the time. They are great bait. I have caught them as big as 1 1/2 lbs. or as small as your fingernail.

14. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    we call them black perch here in oklahoma but I think they are green sunfish

15. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i have 2 wholes i get bait from . one is a drainage pond. full of what you have there. i call them green sunfish , or pumkinseed sunfish. the warmouth is very different . there body portions are longer then those sun fish. but i believe what you have get much larger. i dont see why people get rock bass and warmouth confused . if you ever cought a rock bass you would see. there is alot of difference in my opinion. not even close in simularites. but geen or pumkinseed blue gill no doubt about it .

16. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    100% green sunfish

17. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That my friend is a green sunfish, a small one too, myself and SudDawg have caught them upwards of 1 1/2 lbs, really lively bait, and alot of fun to catch.

Aaron

TA2D

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    That's a green sunfish. Catch them in the Lake that I flathead fish in. You're definitely right about them being a much better bait than bluegill. They are much more hardy and much more active on the hook. Where I fish they aren't that common so I usually get about 3 or 4 every time I go and I get bit on 9 out of 10 that I throw out.

19. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They are very good bait what ever you call them.

20. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have a ton of those in my creek, i can pin em inbewteen rocks and then get em with my hands, i have no ckue what there called but i have a bunch in the creek behind my house that are 10",